Katie update

Thread: Katie update

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

SmileKatie update

First of all I want to thank everyone for all their wonderful advice and encouragement with Katie.

It doesn't seem possible but Katie has been with us for 2 months come this Thursday. Of course there have been days that felt like they were 2 months long as well..LOL We as a family haven't yet made that final yes she is staying with us forever decision (we are leaning toward she is) but whether she is with us or finds another forever home I know that all the work will give her a much better chance of a loving forever home.

As all of you know Katie came to us with a large amount of issues. Totally out of control, jumping up on people, inhaling ever last drop of food or water she could get like she was starving or dying of thirst, aggressive toward other animals, uncontrollable on a leash, barking, growling. Well Katie has come a long way!! Miss Katie now understands that their is food and water available to her at all times and she has no trouble sharing. She has dropped almost 10 lbs due to food changes and more exercise. We are at about 85% of the time (still working) of where when she greets someone she sits and waits for their attention. Barking is now at a very minimum and I haven't heard her growl at all in a couple of weeks. We now walk with an anti pull harness the majority of the time but it has made a huge difference even when we don't use it. And she is getting so much better with other animals. We are now up to 3 out of the 5 other dogs being able to hang out together and play. The issues with the cats is still there but no way as bad. We have been working on commands and she is doing wonderful. We are going slow and with lots of repetition so commands are becoming embedded solid.

Of course it's not always training but lots of loving as well. We play fetch and she loves to cuddle. She loves snuggling up on the bed with myself (and my hubby) for a good nap. Nothing unusual to go to sleep and wake up finding myself nose to nose with Katie or her curled up using my feet as her pillow.

Katie loves her toys and plays with them with great care never destroying anything. Loves the big filled bones and kongs. Has never had one accident in the house. I have never seen her chew on anything other than the bones.

I am very proud of Katie and how far she has come. Here is a picture that shows just how far she has come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad to hear that you and Katie have come so far! I hope everything works out in the end and you are able to keep her!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

It sounds like Katie has come a long way. That's wonderful! Keep up the good work and she'll just keep getting better and better.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You have done absolute wonders with Katie in two short months! In another two months, she will be a model of what a perfect Lab should be. Congratulations!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I want to commend you and your family on the amazing job you've done with her, Katie is beyond lucky to have found you. I'll say a little prayer your family is able to keep her, you sound perfect for her and it sounds like she loves you very much, in return.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Great job! Katie hasn't come that far in such a short amount of time without a huge amount of consistency in her life. And we all know that's requires a great deal of patience ~ Way to go!

That's a lot of work to give away so I really hope it works that you can keep her but if not - someone will be really lucky to get her!