Simba just ate 6 cupcakes with chocolate frosting, (not concerncered about that) but I am concerned about the 6 toothpicks that were in them. I was going to cover them and had put the toothpicks in so the tinfoil wouldn't get frosting on them, but I was too slow. I went outside for 10 mins. and came back and they were all gone!
It's not the destination, it's the journey!
I think I would be concerned. Call your vet and see what they say. The toothpicks would really worry me too.
My first lab got in the garbage after a party and ate leftover sausages with toothpicks in them. The toothpicks didn't cause a problem but the fat did (pancreatitis). I'd keep a close eye but in that dog the toothpicks softened up with the acids and enzymes and passed right through without a problem.
Oh no, good thoughts for Simba! Let us know what you find out if you call the vet!
Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07
Yikes! If it weren't toothpicks I would have said to induce vomiting, but I don't know if it's better to let them go down or come back up.
Good thoughts on their way..!
I hope Simba is OK. Let us know what the vet said.
A few years ago, Judy took several cupcakes off the table. They had Happy Birthday plastic toothpicks in them, but she spit out all the plastic pics.
I agree that the toothpicks will probably break down quite a bit before coming out the other end, but I would call the vet just to get peace of mind. Good thoughts for Simba.
Debi and Bauer
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
I'd call the vet to be sure. But when Toby ate several sharp shards of chewed-up plastic bottle, my vet advised me to put down a bowl of cotton balls soaked in milk for him to eat. The cotton balls wrap around sharp objects in the stomach and intestines and so protect the GI tract as they pass. It's also a good marker so you know when the objects in question should be out (yucky, I know).
Well, I just learned something valuable. Cotton balls in milk -- never heard of that!! Now if I can just remember it.
Hope Simba is fine!!!