am a tense father

Thread: am a tense father

Unhappyam a tense father

Rambo has been limping for the past 2 days. He does so for exactly 30 seconds everytime he gets up after a long while. He lifts his left leg off the floor, walks a few steps and then his gait becomes normal.

He had bumped in to the table last week while jumping around in the house... he had limped then for a while but was fine... now suddenly he is going through all this for past 2 days.

The vet gave some pills saying that bump in to the table might have cause an injury which might a while to heal. He has asked me to give these pills and observe him for 2 - 3 days.

The pills are -

NICIP (A painkiller)

Neurobion Forte (Vitamin B1, B6, B12)

He has been fine since afternoon (gave him the pill with Lunch)...

But I don't know why my thoughts are drifitng to Hip Dysplasia... am so scared I can't tell you! One of the symptoms IS having trouble after getting up

Anybody out their to shed more light on this?
    Am I panicing too much or should I take a second opinion

My Rambo is 6 months young.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

It could be pano too (growing pains) which is very normal for labs. My girl, Magnum, had pano and after a few days rest she was okay.

I wouldn't worry about hip dysplasia now, even if your pup has it, it most likely won't cause limping at his young age.

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with hip dysplasia (which is extensive, unfortunately!). My rottweiler (who passed away at 10yo recently) was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia at 7 months old. I remember it started with trouble getting up. He would YELP out in pain and limp around. It was horrible. When he ran, he also did the characteristic "bunny hop". Ultimately, he had surgery when he was 10 months old (not a total hip replacement, but a TPO). He recovered slowly but very well. But dogs limp. They limp all the time for various little reasons. I hope that this case is one of those odd things dogs do and they are fine. But just to ease your mind, hip dysplasia is not a death sentence. Many, many dogs live full wonderful lives with it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi 3tailswaggin,

Thanks for the info on Pano... I didn't know about it. Will talk to my vet about it

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    It could be pano too (growing pains) which is very normal for labs. My girl, Magnum, had pano and after a few days rest she was okay.

I wouldn't worry about hip dysplasia now, even if your pup has it, it most likely won't cause limping at his young age.

Hi Jen,

Thanks for sharing your experience... though Rambo isn't yelping or anything... is uncomfortable for a while when he gets up after a long duration...
    I too hope it just another limp which will go in no time !

Quote Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
    Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with hip dysplasia (which is extensive, unfortunately!). My rottweiler (who passed away at 10yo recently) was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia at 7 months old. I remember it started with trouble getting up. He would YELP out in pain and limp around. It was horrible. When he ran, he also did the characteristic "bunny hop". Ultimately, he had surgery when he was 10 months old (not a total hip replacement, but a TPO). He recovered slowly but very well. But dogs limp. They limp all the time for various little reasons. I hope that this case is one of those odd things dogs do and they are fine. But just to ease your mind, hip dysplasia is not a death sentence. Many, many dogs live full wonderful lives with it.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't know why, but from my experience with Judy's injury (broken toe), and from reading about limping on JL posts, it seems to be common that an injury may cause limping when they first get up from a rest, but later they seem fine and the limp goes away even to the point where they run. Then they will later limp again after getting up from a rest. I would make Rambo rest totally, no running or playing, just outside to potty on a leash for a few weeks until the limp is completely gone. If it doesn't get better, see a vet.