getting another lab puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting another lab puppy

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Smilegetting another lab puppy

My fiance and I are thinking of getting another puppy around March. Question is, is a 2nd dog much more expensive? We still have all of the small puppy equipment from when Dio was younger, so that should help. Thinking more about dog insurance, vet bills and the like. Also, could they/should they, share a crate? We were thinking of getting the puppy from the same breeder that had Dio, it would be his sister! Very cute.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Double the expense, double the fun. IMO they should not share a crate. That is their safe zone to hide out and relax in, especially for Dio, he'll need a break from puppy behavior.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Isn't Dio still very young? Like 5 months or something like that?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

It is more expensive, but it's also WAY more fun!!
    We have Java at 9 months and Moka at 11 weeks now (they're sisters).
    We DO NOT put them in the same crate to sleep...they each need their own space. Moka tries to climb in with Java but we don't let her. I don't think it's a good idea right now. If when they're older they decide to share space, that's fine, but for right now I look at it more like the puppy is invading Java's private space, so we don't let Moka in there. They do share a dog bed though!!
    I couldn't imagine not having them both!!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Well I personally would be less concerned about the cost and more concerned about Dio, he is still very young, as I recall you are having a challenge to train him with obedience classes and what not. I'd let him grow a litte. Puppies are relatively cheap, once bought, but what happens if you get a second puppy and one of them needs an expensive surgery?

If Dio is only about 5 months old, and you are considering getting his sister, then that means the breeder is breeding their girl every season, which is a red flag for this breeder.

I personally would wait until Dio was trained and you had a good idea about his soundness before adding another dog.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Well I personally would be less concerned about the cost and more concerned about Dio, he is still very young, as I recall you are having a challenge to train him with obedience classes and what not. I'd let him grow a litte. Puppies are relatively cheap, once bought, but what happens if you get a second puppy and one of them needs an expensive surgery?

If Dio is only about 5 months old, and you are considering getting his sister, then that means the breeder is breeding their girl every season, which is a red flag for this breeder.

I personally would wait until Dio was trained and you had a good idea about his soundness before adding another dog.
    +1000
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

So if you're thinking about another puppy in March, and Dio is 5 months now, he'll be about 10 months when the new pup arrives, right? We got Chamois when Toby was 13 months old, which was sooner than we'd planned on a second dog (she's a resuce, and that's another story). I would advise that you spend the next 5 months intensively training Dio to make sure he's SOLID on his commands and behavior BEFORE a second pup arrives. If our experience is anything to go by, there will be some backsliding on the older pup's part - BUT if he's well-trained and behaved, training the second one will be a bit easier since she/he will have a role model of sorts (though you still have to put in the effort with the new one as well as stay on top of continuing to work with the older one). If you haven't invested the time and energy into good training before the second pup arrives, you are very likely to have two high-energy, poorly trained and behaved dogs, so do it now - it is worth it.

That said, I understand the temptation to have two. It's twice the money (food, vet bills, etc.), but more than twice the fun and it's nice to see them develop a relationship together.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Ya, I would never get another puppy right now! I'm having too much fun with Dio and we are doing the intense training so I wouldn't have the time. We were thinking around the 10-12 month range. We can always wait longer though, it isn't a problem. I just would like another pup sometime in the future and I think that it would be more fun for Dio.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I like 3-5 years between dogs myself.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

My 2 youngest have exactly 12 months between them and they have been absolutely great.

I had put an awful lot of training in with the older one who had his CGC Gold award by 12 months which made it easier to add another. It can be expensive having multiple dogs as I posted the other day but I certainly think the pro's outweigh the cons if you are willing to put the work in

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast