Dog Park - Sadie's coming along!

Thread: Dog Park - Sadie's coming along!

CdnSouthernBelle is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Park - Sadie's coming along!

When I first adopted Sadie we went to our local dog park. She made many friends and always had the time of her life. I met some very nice humans too.

Sadie was attacked. :-( We of course went back, after a few weeks (she only had an ear pierced that healed very quickly, no other injuries) as I didn't want her to become reactive and I didn't know very many people with dogs. A couple of months later she was corned by two Huskies and the owner thought it was funny. That was the end of our dog park days.

Now, I know how some feel about the dog park, and for the most part, I'm one of those people (now) who is not a huge fan.

Our neighbour then got a Golden, and he and Sadie are/were the best of friends. We would open the gate between our properties and let them have a good romp and Harley even would come over sometimes when his folks needed a last minute babysiter. Harley has moved away for a couple of years now, and Sadie has no other friends. :-(

So.....fast forward to about a month ago, I decided to start taking Sadie to the park again (in the summer she has our cottage to really get good off leash runs in, but not in the winter). My town only has 1 dog park, but I found one in the town over (Oakville) that is not busy at all.

We started with going super early in the morning, and no other dogs were there. She'd get a good run in, but no playing. We started going a bit later and she'd have 1 other dog to play with. She did well, and got her "footing" back so to speak.

This past Saturday, I took her around lunch time. There were about 5 dogs, and Sadie. There were 2 little ones too, but Sadie LOVES little dogs and is never afraid of them, so they don't count. :-)

She did AWESOME! A little hesitant at first with so many new friends sniffing and saying hello, but got the hang of it right away. She ran, chased friends who chase balls (she's no retriever) and even did a bit of wrestling, which she loves. :-) All the owners were great, and responsible.

We went again yesterday but there were too many dogs. I didn't want to risk setting her back.

There was a variety pack there on Saturday, 3 people labbies of each color. So beautiful! :-) Whenever SAdie is next to a "real" lab, it always amazes me how much different she is and how much her body is Hound vs. Lab. :-)
    My two favorite girls.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

We are lucky that most of the dog owners in our park are responsible !

I have to watch my two as they play fight and some of the other dogs are keen to join in but more realistically !

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK and I are DP fans and visit many. A lot of the success or failure of the DP depends on the responsibility of the humans. We have had incidents, HK has been attacked by a Husky, but gets along with many other Huskies. The offending Husky had attacked several dogs, and the owners permit was cancelled. The dog later taken away from the owner and rehomed. That dog is doing very well a year later.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HK, sounds like a great ending for the Husky.

I agree, it's all in the owners. Sadie doesn't get along with everyone, if she's being snitty, we leave. Not everyone follows that rule though, unfortunately.
    My two favorite girls.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Glad all was ok the last time at the DP. I still think Harley needs to come back

Midwestgirl, you crack me up! Harley is a doll and we miss him very much.

It's actually kind of sad...when walking and if we see a Golden in the distance, Sadie gets all excited, pulls, cries a bit. Then when we get closer she's all upset.

The dog that attacked her is a Golden...she hates all Goldens we've come across, except her beloved Harley.
    My two favorite girls.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Aww! That's awesome! So glad that her recent experiences have been positive. I'm not a fan of the DP anymore as Diesel has been attacked too many times & the owners all sit there & laugh like it's funny or tell me that he needs to toughen up?! Ya, I don't think so, you need to control your dog. So instead I started taking him to doggie daycare where all of the dogs are pre-screened & watched dilligently their first few visits for any signs of aggression. While in the playroom (up to 20 dogs) there are attendants on hand to ensure it's fair play. Trouble makers get a time out & can be banned if they continue bad behaviour.

Daycare is great but I wish there was a free, safe alternative. I just don't trust the DP anymore. Diesel could be seriously injured in a matter of minutes & not worth the risk. I envy those of you that have had luck.

If I won the Lotto, one of the things I would love to do is open a dog park. A private dog park so anyone not following the rules are no longer welcome.
    My two favorite girls.