Weekly Emma Story, Part 3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Emma Story, Part 3

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultWeekly Emma Story, Part 3

Itís Saturday and time for another Emma story. I'm working whole day, except a few hours break today so this story doesn't get as long as the other ones.

I met a lab today. The first dog I pet since Emma.... A light yellow dudley boy and didnít look much like Emma, but still.... A lab! It was hard. Can't believe my girl has been gone for over 3 weeks now.... 3 weeks since I kissed her goodbye, until we meet again...

On the way home from work I passed the field Emma loved to roam. How I miss her, everything about her. Sheís still present, not her body, but her soul is. I can feel her around, sometimes I hear her. But I want to see her! Feel her fur against my hand. Look right into her big, loving, beautiful eyes and tell her how much I love her.... All her things are all around the place, her water bowl is still filled with water... I miss you baby girl <3

When Emma lived with my sister she didnít get much exercise. Mostly let her out in the back yard or on a leash. I used to come and take her for long walks, or bring her home for the weekends. When I finally got her our long walks became a daily routine.

Emma the walker
    We discovered new roads, new places and woods. Took the bus to the woods or walked to other neighborhoods. Met new dog friends along our walks or walked there no one else were.

Up to the age about 13 Ĺ, there wasnít any limit for how far she could walk. It took a bit longer as she aged, but still the same enthusiasm for a walkie. We loved taking walks for a few hours and then get back and I could just watch her sleep and snore away until it was time for next, shorter walk.

I think keep walking, among other things, kept her young for so long. The vet told me when she was 12 and was there for a check up. She was very agile for her age. Not all dogs can stretch out the legs like that, and definitely not all twelve year olds.

When she got older I told her itís ok when ever she decides she just want to go around the house, itís fine. Some people told me to shortening the walks as she got older, but I said Emma decides where to go and she wants to go for long walks. Her nickname was Duracell, she just kept going like the Duracell bunny.

Emma wasnít a dog you could ďforceĒ even if you had tried. She did what she wanted and if she decide she didnít feel like doing it, she didnít. She was a stubborn girl from day one, but as she grew older she became even more stubborn and I gave up long time ago trying to get her come for certain walks. She decided what walks she wanted. If we needed to go to a specific place I brought pocket full of biscuits. I bet she knew where she wanted to go before we even headed out from the front door.

If I went before her and she didnít approve she just stopped. I turned around and said ďShow meĒ and she showed me where to go. She wanted variety and didnít want the same routine, different walks, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter and often went off farer away than first expected.

The last months the tumor affected her and she didnít have the strength to take long walks anymore. She couldn't run anymore. She kept going slower, but still her stubbornness kept her going. The walks took double the time, but I didnít care and neither did she. I was just happy my girl wanted her daily walks and still once in a while decided to go to the woods, about Ĺ km away and stroll around there. Her stamina amazed me and still does. Always a wagging tail and a smile and kept fighting.

I know she missed those really long walks we did in younger days, but she never tried to walk longer than she was able to get home. She knew the exact distance and what she was capable of. She was one smart pup, thatís for sure. She never needed any gps.

I miss how we got away from home and I didnít knew where we ended up before heading home. Some days I could feel down and not feeling like I would go for a long walk in pouring rain, but once I got out and Emma decided the way, it was great to be out.

Emma and I loved our nightly walks. We could go out around 2, or 4 and just walk, it was just we and the stars. So quiet, so peaceful.

Thanks to Emma I got some great adventures in the nature. I miss talking long walks as much as slow, shorter ones. I miss sitting on a stock or a bench for the longest time with my girl resting by my side and listen to the birds singing. I miss spending time with her, just her and I talking about life and having deep conversations along the walks.

I miss her like crazy, wish she could get me out on walks again, long adventures in familiar places or the undiscovered ones....

I know she is now talking long walks, once again,on her favorite places, without heavy breathing and a big lump affecting her movements. I know she's all healed up now visiting me every day...

Emma on a 6 hour relaxing walk with me and grandma along the ocean and woods. We took the bus out there and walked back into city, before taking the bus home.

A place we both loved walking for many years. Almost a year since we were there last time.

In our own neighborhood... One happy girl

Her 14th birthday walk. It was so cold and so much snow, she decided to go for a over 2 hours walk!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I so look forward to your stories. HUGS to you.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Scout is offline Junior Member

Veronica

When you say you and Emma walked, you really mean it. Beautiful pictures.

I hope I get to see Sweden again some day. And I hope this week is better than you expect. Merry Christmas Veronica.
    Hugs
    Judith, and from Scout too

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

just commented on f/b; but had to look at the pics again!!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

She was so lucky to have you Veronica. I miss my walks with Shelby, she lived for them too.

God bless

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

You write about her so well. Keep these stories safe. I wish I had done the same with Cybil, but though I love her and still cry when I think about her, the memories are growing dimmer.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Another great Emma story. She reminds me a lot of Saba. He's also stubborn about where he wants to walk. I enjoy those moments too. I hope you'll have a good Christmas Veronica and I hope you'll keep those stories coming.
    Hugs!

patm is offline Senior Member

Keep the stories coming, I love them - you really bring Emma to life again, and it so shows, how much you love her . Keep all of these stories, and someday you can publish a book about your dear Emma.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I'm enjoying your stories (and photos) of Emma very much Veronica. I hope that writing about her is helping you cope with her loss. I know from experience how hard it is, but you can take comfort in knowing what a wonderful life you gave her. She was clearly a special girl.

tismom is offline Senior Member

Your stories about Emma are wonderful tributes to her. You had such a close bond. I, too, hope that by preserving the memories you can cope with her loss.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast