New potential lab owner- does any one know anything about this breeder?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New potential lab owner- does any one know anything about this breeder?

mamatoacrew is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew potential lab owner- does any one know anything about this breeder?

Hi,

My family and I are currently considering a few Lab and Golden breeders as we go back and forth about which one we would like to share our home with more (it's a hard choice for us!) We have found an older lab puppy who sounds fantastic but I just thought I would check here to see if anyone knows anything about Kirby Mountain Kennels in VT? Good or bad thoughts?

Thank you so much for your advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I smell a puppy mill. Just at first glance. The sight of some of those dogs makes me sad. Lady on the dams page, her tail is tucked so tight...

I found a few of their dogs on OFA, but not near to all of them.

I'd keep searching. That poor yellow older puppy looks like there's something seriously wrong with his rear.

Can't visit the puppies because its stressful for mom? PHOOEY.

Not one photo of a dog INSIDE. All puppies look to be in a barn on hard floor, no blankets, toys etc.

Please don't support this operation. They are in no way doing what's best for any of these dogs.
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 12-16-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Couple of things:

"We breed Brittanys, Labrador Retrievers, English Springer Spaniels, and English Cocker Spaniels." That is a WHOLE LOT of different breeds. I would want to buy from someone who specializes in the dog breed I want, and participates in HT/FT's extensively if buying from a "sporting dog" breeder of hunting dogs.

Other point, they charge extra for for certain colors and sex. I don't much care for that.

The labs are from good FT lines, but some of those lines are known to carry EIC, and I don't see any clearances listed.

Finally, as a guy who trains HT/FT dogs with an e-collar every day, I think this statement is nuts:

"Another issue to consider is that of the E-collar. After working with approximately 1,000 dogs I believe that the best way for anyone to have total control of his dog 100% of the time is to use the E-collar. "

If ecollars gave total control, 100% of the time, they would not have "transmit" buttons.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 12-16-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mamatoacrew is offline Junior Member

I think you are confirming my gut feeling on it, we just spent a long time on the phone with one of the owners and there were some things she said that flagged the situation for me but then there were plenty of things she said that sounded right. That's partly why I brought it here. We have done a lot of research on picking a breeder and finding the right puppy but it's still hard. We may still take a drive up there (it's not far from us) and see what the situation seems like but unfortunately for all of those dogs I think you are right.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

The trouble with just 'taking a drive up there' is once you see the puppies you may want to 'rescue' them...it could be too hard to just walk away.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mamatoacrew View Post
    I think you are confirming my gut feeling on it, we just spent a long time on the phone with one of the owners and there were some things she said that flagged the situation for me but then there were plenty of things she said that sounded right. That's partly why I brought it here. We have done a lot of research on picking a breeder and finding the right puppy but it's still hard. We may still take a drive up there (it's not far from us) and see what the situation seems like but unfortunately for all of those dogs I think you are right.
    Tell us where you are located. In every state in New England and in surrounding states there are TONS of reputable breeders. We an steer you - don't even bother going to that kennel.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mamatoacrew View Post
    Trust your gut. Your good sense is trying to tell you something.

Laura

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanwen View Post
    The trouble with just 'taking a drive up there' is once you see the puppies you may want to 'rescue' them...it could be too hard to just walk away.
    Exactly what they hope when people come by. You should NEVER feel like your rescuing a puppy/dog from a breeder, period. If you want to rescue, there are excellent options available. If you want to buy from a breeder, tell us where you are and you'll get wonderful suggestions!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

if you want to rescue, head to a reputable lab rescue, or your local shelter. Just as with pet store puppies, purchasing one of these pups simply perpetuates and supports the adult dogs left behind to breed and breed and breed and breed until they're worn out.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Everything about that kennel SCREAMS puppy mill. I'm sure if you some of the breeders here your location, they can point you in the right direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast