Question regarding winter temperatures and Labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding winter temperatures and Labs

AReims is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion regarding winter temperatures and Labs

Hello again!

I tried the search function but didn't see anything about this topic, mostly about shedding coat (*gasp* how could that be with labs?! ) I'd like to know if any of you have winter coats for your labs in the colder temps of winter? Here in the part of Finland where I live, oftentimes winter temps are between -10C--20C (14- -4F), plus possible windchill. We've had labs in my family in the past and we've never had coats for them, nor have they at any point seemed like they would've been cold outside. Martta and I live in an apartment building so she's not tied up in a yard or anything.

So I'm curious if the members here have separate winter coats for their Labs for regular dogpark time and walks. Should I consider one, in your opinion?

Annastina and Martta

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Hi Annastina. Cool name. No, I don't have a coat for my Labs. It's been -20C here in Michigan lately and mine go out and play and lay down in the snow. Even Shanny who will be 12 in February doesn't have a separate winter coat. The thing I notice about the temps being that low is that their feet tend to freeze and they end up lifting their feet off the snow as they walk.

If Martta has a good winter Lab coat, then I wouldn't get a separate coat for her, but that's me. The only time I would is if the dog was old and infirm.

Laura

kelli is offline Senior Member

Nope.. up in northern ontario here.. dogs don't mind the cold at all.

kelli, tucker and koda

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mine seems to prefer the cold! Though it hasn't been that cold here!
    Last edited by Apollo's Mom; 12-16-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add to it

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Just cold paws here to.

AReims is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your opinions Labby and everyone else who replied. Yeah, Martta has a good thick (and constantly shedding... ) coat, fit for a Lab. So no need for a coat then, as I thought. I understand the coats on breeds that are small and skinny, but thinking about field Labs and what Labs have been used for in general, a coat would seem funny.

And Martta would probably be mortified and never forgive me if I made her wear one :biggrin: . The Gentle Leader is irritating enough if you ask her.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Agreed, labs generally do not require coats in the cold weather. I have made one concession to a coat for my chocolate, Lexi. Our morning walks are typically early in the morning, before sunrise & in the winter it is often dark the entire walk. She does have a coat, but it only for safety purposes.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Cold paws here too. I use Musher's Secret if he's going to be out for an extended period of time. The tips of his ears get really cold, but he fixes that when he comes in by burying his head under a blanket.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

In used a coat on my 2 when it's -25 or colder. We had a week of -30 and they needed both boots and coats. But other than that, I sometimes use boots so that we can have a longer walk without the hops.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Hi Annastina. Cool name. No, I don't have a coat for my Labs. It's been -20C here in Michigan lately and mine go out and play and lay down in the snow. Even Shanny who will be 12 in February doesn't have a separate winter coat. The thing I notice about the temps being that low is that their feet tend to freeze and they end up lifting their feet off the snow as they walk.

If Martta has a good winter Lab coat, then I wouldn't get a separate coat for her, but that's me. The only time I would is if the dog was old and infirm.
    ^^ What Laura said!

The only time I asked Belle to wear a coat was at her last obedience trial when she earned her RAE title. She is now 12 (I think 9 in the photo)

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast