Fergus is Limping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fergus is Limping

UnhappyFergus is Limping UPDATE

UPDATE:

Thanks to all for you good thoughts! Went to the Vet yesterday and had XRays done from his toes right up to his shoulder. No fractures, no broken bones, nothing surgical, YEAH!!!! It looked like he had alittle tendinitis in his wrist & some inflammation in his shoulder. It's his front left that has been bothering him & it was his back left that had the two cruciate surgeries, so I'm thinking maybe he over compensated for his back leg all those years and it cause some minor damage to his front??? Just an idea, we really don't know much. He's on Previcox right now and we are going to take it easy with the exersice for now, just do some onleash stuff for the next little bit. He's not limping really at all today so thats good.

I'm thinking of finding a new Vet though.....ours was great with his surgeries, but I find it so hard to get any real answers out of him. We find ourselves more confused then anything when we leave our appointments. We love the other staff there though, & they all adore Fergus. You know you've been to the Vets alittle to often when you know all the staff by name & there entire life stories I'm hoping to find someone who has more of a holistic approach & might suggest alternative methods such as accupuncture ect...I strongley believe in alternative medicine for myself, so why not Fergus??? We live in Vancouver so I'm sure it exsists out there somewhere

Thanks again for the positive thoughts!!!!

Hi All....my baby boy is limping quite badly today & I'm so worried. Some of you may remember the hell we've been through with Fergus, 2 cruciate surgeries before he was even 2 years old. We've been problem free for almost two years now and it's been amazing seeing him run & play, something we were beginning to think would never happen again.

Anyway....last Monday (10 days ago) we had Fergus off leash in our usual trail we do almost everyday. That day however we took a little detour and went further into the bush. Still a clear trail but a few more obstacles, Fergus finished the trail fine & showed no signs of being sore. We dropped him off at home & then hubby & I went to the movies. When we got home from the movies we noticed he was limping a little and instead of it being his repaired back leg it was coming from his front left leg. He was still weight bearing, but has a noticable limp. The next morning he was completely fine, no limp & running around the house as usual. I didn't exersice him that day just to play it safe. The next day he still appeared fine & was as wild as ever so back to the trails we went. About 3kms into the trail he ran down a small inbankment & into some muddy water (which he already did a few times) and came up lame again on his front leg this time not wanting to weight bear. We managed to get back to the car & he rested the rest of the night. Next morning no limp, running up & down stairs with out an issue. Rested him for 2 days to make sure he was really okay and he remained limp free. After the two days I took him out for small off leash runs two days in a row & he was completely fine, no limp at all. He went another day or two without major exercise since we are in the middle of selling our house and have been insanly busy and figure if he had a sore muscle or somthing he could use the rest. After being cooped up for a day & a half we took him out again last night adnd he ran off leash for 15 minutes or so, came home fine. rested in his bed for about an hour got up for dinner & was limping quite badly on his front leg again. Instead of waking up fine like the last few times this morning he was still limping and now that I'm home from work his limp appears worse. I am worries sick & have no idea what it could be???? Hubby has checked out his paw and felt up & down his leg and fergus has shown no signs at where it is bothering him. He has been though so much surgically already & can't imagine what it'll do to him if it's something like that again. I have an appointment with our Vet tomorrow & I feel so sick.

Does anyone have any idea of what it could be????
    Last edited by SirFergus; 10-24-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: UPDATE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Prayers and good thoughts for your Fergus.

labby is offline Senior Member

Might just be weekend warrior syndrome. Overused muscles. I hope so for all your sakes.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Hopefully it's just a pull or soreness. Good thoughts that he feels better and that it's nothing serious.

Mojofl2 is offline Member

I just went through something similar since January of this year. Off and on straight leg limping with my 4 year old Baxter. Took away all open running, ball playing, swimming, etc. Been to the vet 3 times and had xrays of his shoulders, elbows, and wrists. Xrays showed nothing. Limping became worse and he was put on tramadol and was on that for 2-3 months. I finally went back to the vet and she referred me to the orthopedic surgeon. We went with xrays in had and he did a complete exam with manipulation of all joints and then stoop up and said, I want to take xrays of his feet. So, xrays are done he comes in and Baxter had a previous fracture of his right
    5th toe 3 years ago. Low and behold, the fracture never healed and has been growing new bone growth for 3 years. The new growth was pressing on a tendon causing pain and also growing into the other metacarpal. He advised surgery to remove it. It was called a chronic sesamoid fracture of his metacarpal. We are 10 days post op and get the stitches out in 4 days. The bone growing from the fractures was the size of the dime and the surgeon gave it to me! I can't wait for him to have his stitches out and get back to his normal lifestyle.
    Just my story, but since I strongly thought it was a shoulder or elbow injury, it can be just about anything. I think if it continues, you will need to take him to the vet.
    Best wishes!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Nothing wise, simply wanted to wish you guys well tomorrow.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Good healing thoughts for Fergus. Hope it's "nothing".
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I hope its nothing.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm hoping this is nothing serious. Maybe what Laura said, weekend warrior. This happens to Libby sometimes, she'll limp a couple days and then be fine. It's always the left front leg. I'm thinking maybe she injured it at one point and it just gives her trouble every now and again, sort of like my knees! The vet could never find anything wrong either. So we try to not do the weekend warrior thing, but sometimes that's hard. When they're limping you want them to rest it.

justine is offline Senior Member

Fingers crossed that it's nothing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast