THoughts on what could be wrong?

Thread: THoughts on what could be wrong?

Tucker is offline Senior Member

DefaultTHoughts on what could be wrong?

Fortunately, Tucker is scheduled for his annual checkup on Saturday morning, but I am very concerned about something and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be wrong...

I woke up this morning to find an ENORMOUS pile of dog poop/almost diarrhea on my bedroom floor...(I had horrible dreams all night that I was being choked or gagged, but for whatever reason couldn't snap out of it and wake up...when I woke up, I realized what happened!)...anyway, that is unusual for Tucker, but it has happened before (maybe once or twice a year) and he has been fine after...

The part that really concerns me is that I took him out for his morning walk and when he pooped, it appeared to have blood in it...it was not 100% solid, but it wasn't diarrhea either...I assume I should take a sample of Saturday morning's with me to my appointment, but is there anything else I should look for, bring, or be aware of? Also, any ideas as to what could be wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CdnSouthernBelle is offline Senior Member

From my experiences with Sadie it could be a number of things, and it could be nothing. Was the blood red or a brownish color? If bright red, she likely burst a small blood vessel and it's nothing.

I would bring a sample since you said you have an appointment on Saturday, or, if you Vet isn't far, why not bring in this morning's sample today? They can run tests on it and possibly give you an answer for Saturday morning?

Make sure he stays hydrated, if he's having the runs. Keep a close eye on him till Saturday for any changes to routine or behaviour.

And most importantly, try not to worry! :-)
    My two favorite girls.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Hopefully a stomach upset that will clear up on it's own !

CSB is right about the dehydration as JAsper was put on a drip in ER for 24 hours following a bout of Haemhoragic Gastro enteritis.

Let's hope that's all it is !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Could he have got into anything he shouldn't have? (I myself am waiting for red poop at lunch time because I'm missing a red sales flyer that came in the mail) Have you tried giving him some pumpkin? Is he eating ok? Otherwise seem normal?
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Personally, I wouldn't wait until Saturday if you are seeing blood in the poop now. Diesel had a very serious bout of HGE in September, within 45 minutes of seeing just a small amount of blood in his poop he was violently throwing up & was pooping pure blood, no more fecal matter & had passed out... luckily when he passed out we were already checked in at the E-vet & a triage nurse took him from there. Diesel is only 10 months (6 mos at the time) & I've always been told never mess around or delay when it comes to a pup with blood in vomit, urine or poop, maybe it's different in older dogs? Not sure how old your Tucker is.

Thanks for the responses! Everything else seems to be normal...he ate fine this morning, he slept on my bed while I was getting ready for work...he is chilling out on the couch now watching Dr Phil...I will take him for his evening walk in a couple of hours and see...I don't want to rush off to the vet at this point for a few reasons - 1. He seems pretty normal 2. I can't afford an emergency vet visit 3. I have a VERY full work schedule between now and Friday evening - to cancel appts. could cause problems for my business (I am snarfing down a bite to eat for 10 minutes now before I have to leave again)...obviously, if I thought it was life or death, I would, but it doesn't seem critical to me at this point...

labby is offline Senior Member

Having a bit of blood in loose stool isn't uncommon. The bowel gets irritated and it sheds a bit of blood. My first thought when I read stuff like this is giardia. It's the most underdiagnosed problem on the planet right now. Take a stool sample but if the vet doesn't find any parasites ask to be treated for giardia anyway. No, don't ask...demand it. Treatment will not hurt the dog and many vets cannot see those giardia cysts when they're present in the stool.

I would tell the vet you want 12 days of Panacur. You want to treat for 7 days, go off for 7 days, then re-treat for 5 days. Anything less than this will not take care of the problem, in my experience and trust me, I have lots of experience with giardia.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Retriever Mama View Post
    Could he have got into anything he shouldn't have? (I myself am waiting for red poop at lunch time because I'm missing a red sales flyer that came in the mail) Have you tried giving him some pumpkin? Is he eating ok? Otherwise seem normal?
    This cracked me up! I have a pup that, lately, seems to be eating everything in sight, especially paper! Though today he decided to tear into his pad in the crate... And I had just been exclamating on how great he's been about not chewing bedding and such!

Thanks Labby - great advice!!

P.S...I actually did laugh out loud about the red sales flyer as well...I have often had to go on the "dirt trail scavenger hunt"...it is amazing the things I have found over the years that I didn't even know I was missing!

Tucker seems very much himself...it was dark by the time I took him out tonight, so I didn't get a look at the poop, but he has been his normal self all evening - even attempting a counter surf while I was cooking...