Tough decision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough decision

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

DefaultTough decision

Rhys has been doing FANTASTIC since his radio frequency ablation to the new mass in October. He's eating well and most importantly, not having any 'accidents'.

His oncologist isn't happy about the size of the mass. It should be shrinking. Initially, it did shrink, but now its pretty well where it was before the procedure.

After Rhys' last surgery, we decided that he probably shouldn't have any more. He has a very hard time with anesthetic, his kidneys are all but shot, and he's not "right" for about a month afterwards. But its bothering him. He doesn't sit straight, and he's now taken to licking his rear paw. He was obviously uncomfortable when the doctor was examining him (Rhys' "discomfort" warning is to kiss, so the Doctor was getting many kisses) and I told him to stop.

So what to do now? Initially the plan was to do this radio ablation thing, and then let it be. I'm tempted to try it again, but his insurance company will not pay for another (I convinced them to pay half of the first procedure). Its $1700 a shot, plus overnight vetting.

The oncologist thinks ablation then two weeks later, surgery. Not an option for me right now. There's no way I can do that, especially being winter and having to haul his butt up and down the stairs is dangerous for both of us, and if there's an emergency afterwards, getting him back to Lansing in a 2.5 hour trip...NOT LIKELY.

Also on today's visit, his blood showed some atypical lymphocytes, I have to do some research on that, but I know in people, that's usually something infectious or leukemia.

Half of me says 'leave well enough alone stoopid' and the other half says 'he's your boy, is there even a question?'. So I am coming to the JL masses, what the heck do I do?

I just don't know what to do anymore. And doofus doesn't tell me one way or another. He drove home lolling his tongue out the window.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I know it's gonna sound heartless, but leave it be, Melissa. Rhys has been through a lot and it's time to let him be. Of course, it's my opinion only and not worth much, but you asked and there it is.

Laura

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

That is a tough one. I understand the need/want to have the surgery, but I really have to agree with Laura.
    prayers

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I honestly don't know what I would do in your situation. But I wish you strength making whatever decision you do - it will be the right one for you and Rhys.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I know it's gonna sound heartless, but leave it be, Melissa. Rhys has been through a lot and it's time to let him be. Of course, it's my opinion only and not worth much, but you asked and there it is.
    Thats my gut Laura. But now there's Rhysie spit frozen for the world to see mid-dribble down the side of my window.

I'm gonna sleep on it. With him, under the blankies (of course).
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I was talking to a friend on mine with Pits the other day. Her 7 y/o boy was fine a few months ago when he was fixed, and now heart problems, back problems, nerve problems....operating is not a guarantee. She just lost her original brood bitch (old age/PTS) and now her oldest male is going downhill with some odd cancer.

Our love for these animals makes us want to try, we'll find a way around the money, the time, the inconvenience of the post-op care.

But in the end, will it help? Some problems are too big for us to fix. I haven't had to make the decision myself, but I think I would rather not put the dog through an operation or treatment that will make them feel worse before MAYBE feeling better, and if it's one of those deals where it will only prolong life a bit longer but not cure anything, sometimes its best to take the time left to enjoy life and spoil your friend instead of having the last months be about recuperation from an operation that didn't cure anything.

I don't envy your situation.

CdnSouthernBelle is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry, what a horrible decision to have to make. I don't know you or your situation, however, purely based on this post, I would have to agree and say to leave it be now.

Is there anything the Vet can give for pain in the meantime?

I'm not far from Windsor (well, about 2.5 hours), if there is anything I can do, please let me know.
    My two favorite girls.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Melissa, my heart goes out to you. I wish I had some words of wisdom that didn't sound heartless, but I also am in the camp that you've done all you can and maybe this time you shouldn't put Rhys through it again, especially given that he isn't right for a month afterwards. It could be longer this time.

On the other hand, having just lost Yeller and still wondering if we did enough, part of me is like what if? I love Rhys from afar too, so it's hard for me to say solidly what to do. I'm not in your shoes.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

I think I'd be in the let it be camp - but I am not sure, never having faced this personally. So, I'll do what I can from here and pray that the right decision comes to you easily!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I agree. {{{hugs}}}
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast