One litter, 2 moms
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One litter, 2 moms

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

SmileOne (and a half) litters, 2 moms (Update)

It's been an interesting 12 days here. 4 yo Sonya was due to whelp her first litter on Dec 5 (based on progesterone), but decided to have them 4 days early. At least she waited until we got home from doing some out of town work that day (I took her w/ me as her temp had dropped by 11am tho I had expected to have a full 24 hrs or so). Sadly, we lost 2 pups out of the 9 (1 after almost 20 hrs), but the rest were quite vigorous and have done super well.

What is interesting is what happened next with Mata, her older half sister (same dad). She was in season about 8 days ahead of Sonya, but is typically a later ovulator, so apparently the early birth of Sonya's litter triggered her to lactate. Every opportunity she could sneak in the box, she did. On about the 4th day, I was surprised to see a puppy actually nursing her. The next time there were 4. The next time... the whole litter. And then there were times that they shared. Do I ever count my lucky stars I have girls that all get along!

The other part of the story is my good friend whelped a litter for someone else (a bitch from her breeding) and she too delivered early (day 58-59). 14 puppies by a small, okay tiny bitch, 45-50#. She also lost 2 pups and then battled calcium issues w/ her girl and has a couple pups that are requiring extra attention there. So fast forward to now... 3 of her black field trial pups are now taking advantage of Mata's extra milk at my house. I think all will be fine. Her pups have already gained something like 50g overnight. They'll be here thru weaning of both litters, but fortunately we both manage our litters the same, so the pups will be on track by the time they leave. And yes, both litters have parents w/ hip, elbow, eye, heart, EIC, CNM and PRA clearances for anyone wondering.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 12-28-2010 at 01:55 AM.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

14 puppies! THAT IS INSANE.

Super cute story/pics. Thanks for sharing.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

No one should have any doubts about your clearances, etc.. WONDERFUL story - great pictures - continue to share as they grow please?

However - wrong title! 1 1/2 litter - 3 moms is more like it! God bless them!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

WOWEEEE! A great family story and the pictures are wonderful!

Seamus and Flynn

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That's a great story! My Blaise had 2 moms too. His breeder had another of her girls who had a singleton at the same time as Blaise's litter was born. So they basically shared. Both of those girls had the sweetest temperaments!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Great story and sweet pic's

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog View Post
    No one should have any doubts about your clearances, etc.. WONDERFUL story - great pictures - continue to share as they grow please?

However - wrong title! 1 1/2 litter - 3 moms is more like it! God bless them!
    Well it started out w/ 1 litter, 2 moms. From there... lol. It's been interesting to see if the girls would be on their own nursing schedule or if they'll just share. Not sure just yet. I was getting a little concerned that Mata or Sonya would end up w/ mastitis if we didn't have more pups, and finally convinced my friend that my girls could help her out too. My friend's pups are only a day younger, so it was a perfect match. I still am worried for her girl, even w/ 9. She's very lean and not eating as well as she needs to be. Hopefully this will help her out though.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

That is so sweet! I hope they all grow strong and healthy, and that your friends girl gets better as well.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

This is really interesting. Does this sort of thing happen frequently?

georgie is offline Senior Member

Congratulations, Anne. Beautiful pictures. Very sweet story.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast