Intact Male Dogs and Aggression, do they need to breed?

Thread: Intact Male Dogs and Aggression, do they need to breed?

MissZoesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultIntact Male Dogs and Aggression, do they need to breed?

Okay, I usually lurk around here, but I have a question about something I saw on the Dog Whisperer. I don't usually watch The Dog WHisperer, but I saw a show with an aggressive black lab and I stopped and watched. The lab in question is an intact young male about two years old, he is a working dog who got plenty of exercise daily, but as he began entering sexual maturity he became aggressive inside his kennel. Outside he was fine.

Now, when Ceasar met with the dog's family the first question he asked was when was the last time he had been mated, and when they responded that he hadn't been that gentleman stated that lack of mating was the dog's problem and to cure it they needed to breed him or do a long list of his prescribed training methods before they neutered him, because neitering him at this moment wouldn't help.

Okay, here comes my ignorance, I didn't think that intact male dogs became aggressive simply because they aren't allowed to breed whenever they please. To me that sounds backards. I worked in an animal shelter for two years and none of our intact males were allowed to breed, and none of them were aggressive. To me aggression would be caused more by a combo of genetics and environment than sexual frustration, but I could be wrong. So, was he right or is he backwards? I got rather angry because, I mean seriously, a "professional" is on television appearing to encourage indiscriminant breeding of dogs for no other reason than so the dog in question can satisfy an urge? *SMH*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

What on earth are you talking about?
    I mean seriously, a "professional" is on television appearing to encourage indiscriminant breeding of dogs for no other reason than so the dog in question can satisfy an urge
    I saw that episode, he absolutely did not suggest that they breed the dog -- you must have missed the part where Cesar said to get the dog neutered (odd that you missed it; it was an important part of the "fix")! His point about being intact was that the dog may have been frustrated -- I have no comment on that; I'm sure there are many intact males that are just fine, but because this one was behaving aggressively, Cesar was taking his unfixed state into consideration, which seems reasonable to me.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Just fyi, he has made a huge effort to get people to have their dogs neutered Spay and Neuter Myths | www.cesarsway.com, and while he may not be correct that intact males experience frustration, what the heck! ... if it gets more people to fix their dogs, that's a good thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Didn't watch the show so I can't comment there, but no frustration should not come out as aggression at all, especially in familiar surroundings and especially in labradors. The worst my boys do when they're frustrated is sing the blues and suck on eachothers ears.

dweck is offline Senior Member

Our intact male never bred and never got aggressive. He never humped either people or furniture. He never had any episodes of unwanted man-goo around the house, either. Nor did he mark.

So even if Caesar Milan's comments were misinterpreted, the basic answer is no: An intact male will not become aggressive out of a lack of sexual release. At least mine never did.

BTW -- Aggression is a mighty strong term. And while, yes, it does apply, a lot of times what you're seeing is dominance. Nothing more, nothing less. And much more fixable than aggression.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Jobe was a rescued puppymill stud, so that's all he did....He's still an intact male and is the gentlest soul you'll EVER meet.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

MissZoesMom is offline Senior Member

It is entirely possible I did misinterprept his comments on the show, I did see where he said to neuter the dog, but his comment on the frustration made me wonder and got stuck in my head beyond anything else and is why I asked the question. It was not intended to be anything against Ceasar personally, I will have to watch the episode again and listen better so that I can hear exactly what he said.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    Our intact male never bred and never got aggressive. He never humped either people or furniture. He never had any episodes of unwanted man-goo around the house, either. Nor did he mark.

So even if Caesar Milan's comments were misinterpreted, the basic answer is no: An intact male will not become aggressive out of a lack of sexual release. At least mine never did.

BTW -- Aggression is a mighty strong term. And while, yes, it does apply, a lot of times what you're seeing is dominance. Nothing more, nothing less. And much more fixable than aggression.
    Totally Agree. As much as I favor responsible ownership of dogs, I am just amazed about the myths people create about intact dogs, like they are monster sexual machines... that´s ridiculous.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think I saw that episode. Watching Cesar is like getting advice off an internet board...glean what you need, discard the rest. Cesar advocates spay/nuetering. Any opportunity to tie anything back to spay/nuetering will end up with just that advice...fix your dog's problems by spaying/nuetering.

By all means, if you have an agressive dog, please fix it because the last thing we want is that type of temperament being perpetuated in breeding, but do not be fooled that the problem is the testicles and the testosterone. It's the training/lack of training.

I have 2 intact boys, we used to have 3....and no one is aggressive.