Shedding: Is this normal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding: Is this normal?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultShedding: Is this normal?

Simon has been shedding a lot. More than I ever remember him shedding before. At first I thought it was just seasonal, and for some reason heavier than usual this year, but now I'm starting to worry.

He seems to be losing an awful lot of hair. His "skirts" on the backs of legs are so thin now - they are usually very thick and almost wiry.

I am brushing him weekly but that's not even touching it. I brushed him last night, and today there was loads more on the floor.

I've heard a lot of you talk about "blowing coat" and all the hair and how miserable it is. Neither of the boys has been really big shedders, until Simon started about three weeks ago.

Angus is hardly shedding at all, btw.

What I want to know is, is there any way to determine if this is normal, seasonal shedding, or maybe a food or other health issue?

I was trying to get some more hair off him tonight with my hands and his coat seems dull, and a bit dirty/greasy. Not really normal for him. Like a lot of you I don't bathe them regularly but I do brush them weekly. This has always been enough to keep them feeling very clean. Also noticed a lot of dandruff when giving him the rubdown tonight.

What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

No expert here, but I would think if his coat is looking thin in places, that is more shedding than normal. With the way mine shed, I marvel that they aren't bald. But they don't have any thin places.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Bear is blowing coat right now like I have never seen before... coats can get pretty thin after a big shed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, it's not thin so that I can see the skin or anything, but it is noticeably less...luxurious? than it usually is.

When they shed their summer coat for the winter coat, does it get thinner first before the thicker coat comes in?

I think I might take them over to see DFL tomorrow. Or wondering if I should take Simon to the vet.

Dixies Mom is offline Senior Member

I would always be suspicious of a major change in shedding patterns or the feel / look of the coat. Dixie had some issues a while back with flaking and feeling oily. I decided to switch her food and it improved. Now we are going through the process again due to the Purina Pro Plan switching over to those moist bits in their kibble. I don't like it, and she has been having ear issues again. Hopefully you will find that it is just something in his diet that needs to be tweaked. Dogs that are susceptible to allergies seem to develop them more easily to things that they once tolerated. I am sure there are many more on here that will give you much more helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad View Post
    Bear is blowing coat right now like I have never seen before... coats can get pretty thin after a big shed.
    Thanks. I wondered also if it's weather-related...we've had the looooongest fall I can ever remember. On Thanksgiving we were outside in short sleeves. It's just gotten really cold in the last two weeks. Makes me wonder if that could make his coat hang on longer, then all of a sudden his coat "realizes" that winter is coming, and goes POOF!

Thanks for checking it out Elysa. I was ALSO wondering if it might be the food. I made a huge boo-boo with their food recently: I thought Great Life came in only grain-free, but turns out it also has a "grain" formula. I bought the latter last time. The bags look pretty much identical.

Yesterday I realized my mistake and bought a new bag of grain-free and we started them on that this morning. But DFL is pretty adamant about lower protein AND no grain for the boys, and the grain-free has 30%. So, maybe I need to switch foods (again).

Piper77 is offline Member

I was going to post a similar thread. My lab has been shedding/blowing coat like I've never seen before for the 3-4 weeks. I've never seen anything like it before.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post

What do you think?
    I don't think this is normal and you have an underlying problem going on. I always look at nutrition first.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dixies Mom View Post
    Now we are going through the process again due to the Purina Pro Plan switching over to those moist bits in their kibble.
    Don't feed that crap! Feed one of the other ProPlan formulas that aren't shredded. Try the ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach or the ProPlan Selects Chicken and Brown Rice.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast