I need a guard dog..

Thread: I need a guard dog..

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

DefaultI need a guard dog..

Our Carin (rescue dog, anatolian/lab x) was an excellent guard dog. When DH and I would play fight, even if she was in the next room asleep, she would know and come running in like a bat out of hell and take him to the floor.

Tonight, DH and I were play fighting, Harvey ran up to us, ran off again, got his nylabone, ran back up to us and...... burped. Yeah, thanks Harv, that will really help if i ever get attacked taking you on your evening stroll. Still, DH creased up laughing giving me enough time to escape his grasp and smack him over the head :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I just burst out in laughter -- I can just picture it. My BF and I will also play fight and I'll pretend I'm being attacked to see what Aila's reaction would be -- well, let's just say that I would need more than Aila to save me. She usually just stares at us with a look of total bewilderment.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

LOL! My Dutch Shepherd used to act like your Anatolian - except she very efficiently would run around to the rear of my attacker and nip him in the butt. Just front teeth - just enough to give a good pinch. Very, very effective!

My Labs are totally clueless as guard dogs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

That sounds hilarious! I've done the pretending a friend is 'attacking' me play fight thing too and Zack just joins in, so I thought he'd be 'useless'. However a few months ago we were on an evening walk when a very creepy guy started following us. Zack kept looking back but I was trying to speed up to get us home quicker. Out of the blue, Zack flung himself back towards the guy who was - it looked like - about to attempt to grab/mug me and started snarling and lunging at him, hackles raised ready to get him if necessary. Thankfully that was enough to scare him off, but after the initial scare wore off, I was very proud of my boy

(It has made him a bit wary of strange men approaching me though =/ )

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I'm sure they can sense when something is said/done in fun or when there is actual menace intended. I have a feeling we'd all be surprised by how our pups would react if there was real danger posed to any of us.

Shadow was a Lab who had never met a stranger; she loved everyone and always had a smile on her face and wag to her tail, even when getting shots or having blood drawn. She was a shameless hussy when it came to men!

One night some undercover police came to my door, looking for information about my then-neighbor (I live in a duplex) and her boyfriend. Turned out the BF had killed someone! One of the officers had asked permission to come inside to talk to me, the others stayed outside. Shadow stayed at my side and kept her distance from the cop, where normally she would have been throwing herself at any man who came into the house. When one of the others came up to the storm door to say something to the one inside, she growled and raised her hackles - the first time that ever happened! Then when the cop inside went to hand me his card, she did it again, and placed her body between us. That was the only time she has ever acted less than extremely friendly towards any person she met!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Garth is offline Registered Users

If you want a guard dog, get a Chihuahua. Those little buggers don't take crap from anyone.

My boss has a Schnauzer. I took my 2 over to his house last weekend. The 3 of them get on great. We were practicing self defence moves on each other. When he "attacked" me, my 2 just stood there & looked at us. When I "attacked" him, his stupid dog did nothing either. USELESS!