Any toy ideas??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any toy ideas??

cherylma21 is offline Junior Member

DefaultAny toy ideas??

We have tried so many things with ozzy to keep him ocupied at night time whilst were watching t.v - other than his kong, the only thing we give him is different raw hide chews as these are the only things that keep him quiet for a while. We cannot give him general dog toys/teddies as he just chews them to bits in seconds..... I once bought him quite an expensive dog toy which stated it was "indestructable" which he proved in 30 seconds wasn't!!!

Just wondered if any of you had any thoughts??? Cheers guys....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bristol loves his rope that has the knots in it. He also just has a hard bone (that has some sort of filling in it but it was clean on the outside, so suitable for in the house). He has had this for 6 months and seriously everytime I give it to him he acts like he has never seen it before. He chews on that thing for hours every day! The best investment we made (and one of the cheapest... who woulda thought??)

Sorry don't have any clever suggestions though, maybe someone else will offer up some great ideas! I look forward to hearing them as Bristol also destroys everything in a matter of seconds.

The many faces of Bristol.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

no ideas but had to tell Mandy the pic of Bristol in the bird bath brought back some fond memories ...........Abby used to do that on a regular basis when we had the bird bath................ so cute

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I'm not a fan of rawhide. They can be swallowed and cause blockages, which lead to surgery. Nylabones (the ones designed for heavy chewers) are great and I give my two a marrow bone every once in while.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Yup, the heavy duty nylabones are great - the bigger the better! just bought a new one the other night... Kong makes other products too which are great, and great for heavy duty chewers.

haha Rooky--apparently the water just tastes that much better when you get all four paws up there in it!

The many faces of Bristol.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I second the marrow bones. I get them from the butcher and they keep my crew quiet for hours and the marrow and meat is digestible unlike rawhide. I keep the empty bones and re-stuff with cottage cheese, peanut butter or yogurt and freeze (these get messy though so they are a good crate treat).
    Jen and the crew!

uxhamby is offline Junior Member

You didn't tell us how old your lab is, ours is approaching 3 years, so is beginning to slow down a bit from her puppy phase activity levels.

I take our Marl' out for some good exercise between 4 pm to 5:30 pm or so. Her latest favourite game is fetch the soccer ball, which she will do enthusiastically until she's tired out. When we come back in the house, she's content with low activity pursuits till bedtime.

For the evening time when we are unwinding in front of the tube, if she wants some play, we have developed a game where we throw a tennis ball just straight up into the air between her and us. She will jump in place to catch it and then scoot it back along the floor to us with her nose. It is a good indoor game as its quite contained and so not likely to cause too much destruction and its possible to keep the thread of a TV program while playing. Marl' seems to enjoy the mental challenge in place of the physical. She even seems to be very fair about who she returns it to, typically treating my wife and I with equal turns.

Hope this is helpful.

Brian H.
    Last edited by uxhamby; 12-09-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Uxbridge Ontario Canada

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

On the nights we are watching something really good, I will give Mya her frozen Kong. That usually lasts her a couple of hours. I also agree with the nyla bones (I won't give rawhide either). They are great!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I stopped giving Diesel the rawhide after the advice from here, just too risky. Nylabones are great, so are rope toys - both pretty durable & inexpensive. If your pup is the destructive kind, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on a single toy. We play ball in the house sometimes, just tossing it down the very short hall I have, he seems content enough with that while indoors. The only toy he's ever really destroyed is the Nose Diver birds. Or we train during the commercials... I try to get him to work on his down/stay/quiet when my show comes back on... doesn't always work though!

How old is your pup anyways?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast