Wow, Diesel's paws are REALLY sensitive!

Thread: Wow, Diesel's paws are REALLY sensitive!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultWow, Diesel's paws are REALLY sensitive!

Last night I took him out & after about 20 minutes he started limping, holding his back left leg off the ground, then he just sat down not wanting to move. I checked his paw thinking maybe he got rock salt caught in his toes but found nothing.

This morning (-8, which isn't that cold, forgot to check windchill but it wasn't that windy) he did the same thing but this time with his front right leg, I quickly checked, again nothing & got him moving then he started lifting his back feet for longer than just a step. Suddenly he started to whine!!! OMG he's never cried before, broke my heart! Then he stopped, sat then laid on his side just completely giving up moving at all. VERY odd behaviour.

With him on his side I was able to check all of his paws, this time I took off my gloves! His paws were chilly but not frozen by any means. I've yet to put booties on him so it's not like I've spoiled him not allowing him to adjust to new climate. There was no rock salt or anything else on his pads or in between his toes, cookies got him up & moving so we quickly went home.

Anyone else have this happen? At the doggie daycare they did tell me that Labs have softer pads than other breeds (?true?) but Diesel's were especially soft, they check his feet regularly for any tears (they have mats down to cushion the joints when they run).

Clearly it bothers him, the mom in me wants to put booties on him now, but I am wondering if I need to let him tough it out a bit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

He´s 9 months old right? I´m thinking it could be panosteitis (better know as growing pains) which is unfortunately common in young labs. The cold snow could be bothering him. What made me suspect it could be pano is the fact that the pain and limping shifted from one leg to the other, which is typical of this desease. It goes away by itself when the dog stops growing but it can be quite uncomfortable for them. (My poor Misha suffered from it from about 8 months til almost 2 years)

I would honestly check with the vet, because I can understand him not liking the feeling of snow, but it shouldn´t be painful

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow View Post
    He´s 9 months old right? I´m thinking it could be panosteitis (better know as growing pains) which is unfortunately common in young labs. The cold snow could be bothering him. What made me suspect it could be pano is the fact that the pain and limping shifted from one leg to the other, which is typical of this desease. It goes away by itself when the dog stops growing but it can be quite uncomfortable for them. (My poor Misha suffered from it from about 8 months til almost 2 years)

I would honestly check with the vet, because I can understand him not liking the feeling of snow, but it shouldn´t be painful
    Was Misha's a sudden onset like this? 8 months to 2 years? Poor thing! This seems too coincidental it happens suddenly when there's ice & snow on the ground when he was otherwise fine. Perhaps I should don the booties to see if there's a difference... if he still acts like this than maybe it is what you suggest, if he's fine then he may just be a mama's boy! Much cheaper than a visit to the vet since we already have the booties. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's not panosteitis.

Thanks though, I'd never heard of this condition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hopefully it´s just something on the paws. For Misha it just developed suddenly from one day to the other (it probably took some time but she didn´t show any pain symptoms). The symptoms come and go on their own, sometimes she had it on the front right arm, then on either of her hind legs. She would be fine for weeks, then suddenly started limping for a few days, then she was fine... I only gave medication if she looked in pain or if the limping didn´t go away in 3 days by itself, and it always got worse when the weather got cold.

Take a pic of him with the boots on! Hopefully he will leave them on...

kaytris is offline Senior Member

its probably the residue of road/sidewalk salt - that stuff BURNS.

Yup, it's been confirmed. Diesel is a mama's boy! Went out today for a long walk, I put his booties in my pocket. Sure enough after about 20 minutes he started lifting up his legs & whimpering. So on the booties went & he was good for another 30 minute walk with some time in the park I didn't break out the expensive muttluks yet, he's got the balloon ones on for now.

Ya, I'll have to take a pic of this I think or maybe a video... outside he walks normal, inside he prances on the hardwood like he's got glue on his feet!! Super cute!!

That´s great news! I´m really happy it wasn´t anything bad

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

One thing to also be aware of is ice between the paw pads. Skip used to stop on winter walks in the city, not so much in the woods, because wet slush would get on the hair in between her paw pads and freeze. Think little daggers poking into your feet. We'd thaw out her paws in our hands to mekt the ice and carry on with our walk. We never used booties, but she went on more walks in the woods than in the city. Booties seem like a great solution.