Should i be letting Aspen out alone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i be letting Aspen out alone?

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultShould i be letting Aspen out alone?

Aspen is 6 months now? I always go outside with her. Actually my fenced in area is in the back and i have to walk out my side door to get to it. I've always stayed out with her no matter how hot or cold it is. She still gets into everything and I always have to tell her to leave certain things alone. When she was at my friends this past weekend because my dad was having surgery my friend would just let her out the back door into the fenced in area at her house. She said Aspen woudln't go to the bathroom but instead would scratch on the door to get back in. Then my friend would have to go out with her and tell her to go potty and stay with her until she does. Am I spoiling her too much? I've walked in the house before to get something and she will just sit at the gate until i return. I don't mind going out with her although it is about 10 degrees here the past couple of days but i don't want to spoil her either. What do you guys think???

Amanda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Toby does that sometimes too but mostly only when he has been crated for periods of time. Like first thing in the morning or when I go home at lunch. He is getting better about that now the problem is getting his ornery butt back in the house!!

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Hmmm, yeah Malone will go out for his potty break, and then bark at the door. He's 7 months and I'm not sure how long he'd last on his own. Plus it's super cold up here.

But I personally think she can probably be out alone... I think my guy started that around 5 mos.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Did I understand right that you have to go a ways to get to the fenced part of your yard? Or is it all fenced? If it is not all fenced and the pup would have access to any area that is not, I say stay out with her and don't take any chances of her taking off or someone grabbing her. All it takes is a split-sercond and they can be gone.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

The back yard is fenced but i don't have access to the fenced in yard without walking out the side door to the fenced in yard. I guess it would be pointless when we go out for potty breaks to go outside, leave her there and go back to get her a few minutes later. She is pretty fast on potty breaks. Plus when we got out to play i kind of need to be there to throw the ball

It's just the lady I left her with for the night found it weird she had to go out to tell her to go potty so i was wondering about that. I don't always have to tell her I think she just doesn't like being out alone cause i'm usually there. But again i can't just open a door to let her out I have to go outside to take her to the gate so i guess in my situation it's easier to just stay out until she's done her business and then go back inside.

Amanda

2blacklabs is offline Senior Member

I don't think that my two would know what to do if they were put out in a fenced in yard and left out by themselves, they would probably want back in. They have never been left outside anywhere alone. We have a leash law where I live and we are not allowed to fence our yard in so we have always stayed outside while our dogs go to the bathroom. We just don't go to the bathroom though, we always make it a play session so we are outside for a bit.

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

I'd say based on how your yard is set up, I would go out with her. My boys go outside on their own starting from the age of 6 months. The vet told us to worry about too many stares due to the chance of hip issues. So we would walk Hunter outside the side door then to the yard on a leash when he was young. Then he graduated to going out the back on his own and we would watch from the patio door. Aspen's safety is the key for sure.
    Hunter & Chrome

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I don't thing you are spoiling her. I would go out with her.Jackie is right. It takes only a split second. Kassy didn't have free roam to the top courtyard until she was about a year old. With the other lady you left her with she may have been a little nervous. It is away from her usual surroundings so could do things a little differently. Gems is 3 and can be quite odd away from home. I don't think it weird she had to tell her to go potty. I do with mine. Gems I often have to watch as she is in such a hurry she squats, then runs back peeing.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thanks for your responses everyone. I guess it's not really important if the lady thought it was weird. Whatever works for us is best

Amanda

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi is 11, and still won't go out without me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast