Should we or shouldn't we?? Please help

Thread: Should we or shouldn't we?? Please help

cherylma21 is offline Junior Member

DefaultShould we or shouldn't we?? Please help

We have an eighteen month old choc lab (male) and are thinking about getting another lab (male) for company for him as we are out of the house a lot during the day - although we are not sure if there may be any issues with this (jelously ect) and would appreciate what people may think about this or have experiences of this - also would it be more appropriate to get a puppy or one of a similar age to ozzy????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

18 months is a good age. If you want a puppy, get a puppy. Just remember if you get one the same age, you might be saying goodbye to them very close to each other, which can be pretty rough.

Laura

Leeann is offline Junior Member

Im no professional at this but I recently got a puppy, mainly to keep my lab (Storm) company and to have a friend. Storm is also approx. 18 months old and she took brilliantly to the puppy. They have been best friends since introduction...but you will have to be clever about the introduction depending on the temperament of your lab.
    I would also suggest a puppy of different sex to ozzy, as far as my research has taken me their tends to be alot less jelousy between opposite sex.

Just one thing though, if you are out of the house most of the day will you be able to feed and take puppy out to pee and give him the attention he needs? And also to supervise the first weeks with ozzy?

Besides that its great giving your older dog a friend, Storm seems to have forgotten all about me now that Nduna is around!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Make sure YOU want another dog first and foremost - even if you adopt the new addition will need training and one on one time. I also agree with labby that if you have two dogs close in age it means two seniors ( no dog to take long walks with) and likely loosing them close in time.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, if you are out of the house a lot during the day, why would you get a puppy? They need a lot of work (as you know) and if you're getting it for companionship for your other dog (which I think is the wrong reason to), then that's not going to work. I personally would wait longer, but that's me. I waited almost 4 years to get my second one. And that was perfect.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Hi

If we were to get a puupy i would arrange a couple of weeks off work (or at least one) in order to monitor them - also very lucky to have a mum who works part time and lives around the corner so she will be available to spend time with them while we are not there...

Just wasnt sure if getting an older one would be easier than getting a pup, or actually getting an older one might be more hard work??!!

My mum works part time and would be around until the pup was old enough while we are not there in the day, as she did with the one we have now - also getting a companion for our dog is not the only reason we want another - obviously we have to want it aswell, probably more so than the lab we have now..

nicole is offline Senior Member

Do you have your current dog around other dogs regularly? Does he like to play? Does he gravitate to one sex over the other? Your dog having company during the day is a reason to send him to daycare, not really get another dog...after all, they'll both be crated while you're out during the day, right? Now if you (your family) is ready for another dog, go for it!

yes my sister in law has a male husky which he adores and loves to play with - we have looked into day care which is £12 per day which is something we cannot afford unfortunatly! No they will not be crated during the day - we have an area in the garden which they would be left in along with a kennel ect, which is the perfect size for the size of labs (we have had it made especially) - also its not just for the company of our dog, we would like to get a new addition to the family..