Hail Call to Gulfcoast

Thread: Hail Call to Gulfcoast

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultHail Call to Gulfcoast

Necessity being the mother of invention ... can you figure out what we've done here?

click on image

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tismom is offline Senior Member

I assume that you need to keep the water free of ice for landing ducks!

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Looks to me that you are putting some motion in your decoys with a trolling motor on a frame, like a homeade mallard machine, and possibly keeping a spot in the pond open at the same time in case it ices up?
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bingo!

MinnKota Endura 50 Lb thrust trolling motor suspended on a 2" X 8" board, U-clamped to a pair of 6foot T-posts driven into the bottom. Water is 35" deep at the point. A pair of 30 ft 4 gauge leads run back to Carol's blind where we have a deep cycle 12 volt marine battery that will run the trolling motor for 8 plus hours at a 3 out of 5 forward speed setting. Actually have 2 batteries and will be charging one at home while using the other. Our hunts are rarely more than 2-1/2 hours so we should get three hunts from a charge.

The shaft is tilted up about 12 degrees from vertical and the prop is about 5" below the surface. Suspended the cable above water all the way to the blind by adding an additional T-post every 8 feet and hung the cable 30" or so above the surface. Attached dead willow branches to each to disguise them. Kinda looks like an old fence line running into the water from shore.

I was worried about a dawg getting too close to that spinning prop so I made 3'X4' cage, 36" deep, out of a piece of cattle panel and wired that to the posts around the shaft and prop so a paw or other body part can't accidentaly get in there. The top was then covered with a piece of 1" X 2" mesh hinged on one side for access if I need to get into it for breaking ice later. Top was then covered with reeds and a few dead branches.

We anticipate 6-7 iced over days the second half of season as we had last year. Open moving water is a MAGNET for ducks as you know. Until we do get ice, the set-up acts like a huge "mallard machine" and really bounces the dekes in the wash stream for 25 yards or more. Best part is it cost ZERO ... had the motor and used existing other stuff from around the barn.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Sweet! We used to crack on the irrigation pump when it was going to freeze to keep a little current running.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

The nice thing about the trolling motor is that it is virtually SILENT and can be turned on/off from inside the blind. The bad thing is that the speed can't be adjusted without putting waders on.

Maybe there's a rheostat available that could do that? Hmmm...

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Jim, Project for next year.

Disassemble the head of the trolling motor.
    You should be able to remove the control module, and then run the required 2-3 wires back to the blind with the battery cables.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.