Travel Kit: Dumb Questions

Thread: Travel Kit: Dumb Questions

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultTravel Kit: Dumb Questions

Hershey Kisses is going on a 3-4 week car trip in January. Food, collars, leashes, meds, bet records, a few toys, a dozen tennis balls, and one of her beds.

I plan on picking up a fresh bottle of ear wash. And printing up a few posters with her picture on it, just in case she decides to take off on me.

We will be near ocean beach for a week to 10 days of the trip and I intend to giveher every opportunity to explore the big water on a dog friendly beach which will be nearby.

So, what else should I pack and take along in the form of an emergency kit, or whatever. Not my first cross county trip with a dog, but it has been a long time and I think we try to be a bit more prepared for the unknown now.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

A tie to use as a muzzle. Dogs tend to bite first when they're hurt and ask questions later. Benedryl. Immodium. Aspirin. Anti-Gas liquid. Those tend to go everywhere with me, along with Tylan powder (antibiotic powder for loose poops). Vet wrap, gauze, bandage scissors. White vinegar for any possible bites, such as jellyfish or bugs. Thermometer!!!

Laura

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

If you're camping, you'll want a tie out so that she can be outside with you, without being off leash (a no-no in most camp grounds).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    A tie to use as a muzzle. Dogs tend to bite first when they're hurt and ask questions later. Benedryl. Immodium. Aspirin. Anti-Gas liquid. Those tend to go everywhere with me, along with Tylan powder (antibiotic powder for loose poops). Vet wrap, gauze, bandage scissors. White vinegar for any possible bites, such as jellyfish or bugs. Thermometer!!!
    Caleb's first aid kit has pretty much all of that plus:
    Original Listerene
    Vetricyn spray
    eye dropper
    liquid medicine measuring spoon (from the baby aisle)
    a couple of sanitary napkins and panty liners (for bleeding)
    velcro muzzle
    pet emergency first aid booklet
    tweezers
    eye drops (the sample sized ones for people)

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I think pretty much everything is covered- I didn't see any " quick stop" which I will forever have on hand after Sammi was bit in the ear- man do those things bleed. You can get it and any farm store. I also keep a bottle of Keflex, or generic cephalexin. I know not all on here are comfortable giving antibiotics without a vet rx. but this is a common med given for skin infections- post bite or injury- you can actually get it on-line with out a rx. from Dr. Fosters and smiths- under fish anti-biotics- I also have a chart for dosing dogs or use of other anti- biotics. I don't take the use of antibiotics lightly on anybody and certainly not my pup. But once we were rving- not close to a vet, and she was playing bitey face with another dog and got a small tear near her eye. We were 100 miles from the nearest town, so when she woke up the next day and it was angry red I was very glad to have them on hand. Most vets would even give you a rx. for them if you tell what its for if you feel more comfortable going that route.
    Bet you will have a wonderful time, and I can't wait to hear about the trip and see the pictures!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

EMT gel. Either with or without bittrex. I never go anywhere with a dog without it. Its the bomb. And "poop pick up" bags.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    ... And "poop pick up" bags.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that. I even have some in the human first aid kits in the vehicles. Something else I forgot was these disposable dog booties Disposable Dog Booties

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

She has Bet records? How's her win/lose streak? Let me know in case I need her to place a bet for me! (Sorry-couldn't resist!)

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Towels, lots of towels.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Oooo have lots of fun!! My vet put a medicine kit together for me when I went to the labfest in PA and almost everything mentioned here was in it. Laura had a few items even my VET didn't think of!
    I'm getting Mya's stuff updated for our two month stay in AZ too!