Lab Breed Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lab Breed Question

magic9s9 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab Breed Question

I have a question. I am looking at yellow lab puppies that are a mix between an American Lab and a British Lab. The mother is the Yellow English Lab (3 Years Old) and the father is the Yellow American Lab (2 Years Old). I know both breeds are good dogs, but I'm not sure about them being mixed together. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated before I think about purchasing one.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

These are not separate breeds but different types within the breed. That is not so much of a concern. What would concern me is the quality of the sire and dam.

Have you determined that the parents have full hip and elbow clearances (not just the breeders verbal assurance)? They should be able to show you the clearance info (Penn or OFA). Have they been cleared of other genetic issues (EIC and CNM) I would be concerned about the worthiness of these 2 individuals to be bred. Have they been determined by an outside party to be excellent examples (in the show ring, hunt competition or obedience/agility or other competitive forum). Most dogs should not be bred simply because there is nothing about them that is special enough to warrant reproduction.

If this is just some pet dogs being bred just because someone could - that is backyard breeding and not something you should support.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    These are not separate breeds but different types within the breed. That is not so much of a concern. What would concern me is the quality of the sire and dam.

Have you determined that the parents have full hip and elbow clearances (not just the breeders verbal assurance)? They should be able to show you the clearance info (Penn or OFA). Have they been cleared of other genetic issues (EIC and CNM) I would be concerned about the worthiness of these 2 individuals to be bred. Have they been determined by an outside party to be excellent examples (in the show ring, hunt competition or obedience/agility or other competitive forum). Most dogs should not be bred simply because there is nothing about them that is special enough to warrant reproduction.

If this is just some pet dogs being bred just because someone could - that is backyard breeding and not something you should support.
    ^^^
    I completely agree. To see any animal suffer because of bad breeding is so sad. Please check all clearances first.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The dam has been cleared of hip and elbow issues (OFA), but the father has not been yet. Both are hunting dogs and not show dogs from my understanding with the dam having champion lines in her pedigree. I'm actually going out today to meet the sir and dam and see the puppies through a glass window as they are only 4 weeks old and have not had their parvo shot yet. So if I pick one out today, it will be through the glass. One of my concerns is the price. I know these labs can range from pretty cheap to pretty expensive based on the bloodline. The asking price for these is $395, so I also want to make sure that is a fair price.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would also ask if they were cleared for EIC & CNM. I don't like to talk about prices but for a pup out of FC/AFC bloodlines (I am assuming it is that kind of champion if they are out of field lines) that is a really low price. I just wonder why the male was used if he has not had his clearences yet?

I know the male was chosen for his gentle disposition and both are hunting dogs. I'm not sure about the EIC and CNM clearance. I'll ask about that when I go visit today.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by magic9s9 View Post
    The dam has been cleared of hip and elbow issues (OFA), but the father has not been yet. Both are hunting dogs and not show dogs from my understanding with the dam having champion lines in her pedigree. I'm actually going out today to meet the sir and dam and see the puppies through a glass window as they are only 4 weeks old and have not had their parvo shot yet. So if I pick one out today, it will be through the glass. One of my concerns is the price. I know these labs can range from pretty cheap to pretty expensive based on the bloodline. The asking price for these is $395, so I also want to make sure that is a fair price.
    ^^^
    You should ask why the sire does not have his clearances yet....also important to check clearances down their lines. It is really sad and can be very expensive to get a pup with hip and elbow issues. One of my labs has been diagnosed with severe HD, even though her parents and the dogs down her lines had clearances, she is just that unlucky one. It breaks my heart to know that someday this will be an issue for her. She is on supplements and will be for her entire life, I thank God she is in no pain and functions well, but I always worry what her future will bring.

Also CNM is so important, if you don't know much about this, research it. It is very sad to see dogs with this disease, heartbreaking actually. If I can offer one piece of advice...please try to do your homework and if you are buying a puppy, buy responsibly. There are breeders here who could and will offer great advice and help if you ask.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Both of my dogs are rescues and I am sure are back yard breed. That being said my Nellie (on the left) is 1/2 and 1/2.Except for her head she looks like a field lab (hunter) and is very agile. Her disposition could not be better but she does have problems. Terrible hips and she had cancer two years ago.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

So this breeder takes her dogs to a chiropracter. She does it to adjust to dogs as the grow bigger. I've not heard of that....but I guess it can't hurt.

Samson is offline Senior Member

$395 is very cheap ! Whereabouts are you ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast