Weekly Emma Story, Part 1
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Emma Story, Part 1

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultWeekly Emma Story, Part 1

Yesterday I got an idea at my first crappy day back at work, to write one story about my girl every Saturday. I promised that on facebook yesterday night, after I got home. I promised the first story was going to be read by all today.

I woke up this morning feeling like crap, missing my heart and soul and miserable for not be able to hug, kiss, smell and feel and see her and look into her beautiful brown eyes and tell her how much I love her.

Imagine that feeling and add you promised a lot of people out there you were going to share a story you had no idea where to start... I knew I had to try, try for everybody who believed in me, try for my girl's memory. To keep her "alive First Saturday story of my girl is called Emma and her gardens, written straight from my heart.

Emma and her gardens

The lost of my girl is so hard and unbearable to carry. It's a challenge to even open my eyes in the morning, even more to take the step out of bed. So here I am, in bed, missing my girl and will try to tell a story about her, like I promised you and her. I'm supposed to write one story a week. I have no idea where to start, but decided to write about where she loved being the most in her whole wide world. Here it is,in loving memory of my Angel Emma, 8 days since she left earth: The story about Emma and her gardens:

We lived in an apartment on second floor her whole life with me, but I don't think she ever minded that. She was able to be outside more than most dogs and when she was healthy we walked for hours and hours straight ,and nature was just a floor away.

We also had our garden, even if it wasn't outside the house like most of you have. Our garden was about a mile walk away. In a area full of small gardens: Allotment gardens ( more about allotments here: Allotment (gardening) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Emma loved being with me and my mom at the gardens, together we ended up with 4 gardens. While most people just grow their vegetables and a bit of flowers, it was and still is more to us. We have our lands of course, but also grass for miss Emma and garden furnitures for the humans to relax on. A place to get away from every day life and all "the have toos".

Emma was with me there since she was about a year and every summer since then. My mom reminded me the other day about when she dropped her key for the water tap on the ground and before we knew it Emma just picked it up, gently in her mouth, without any word from us, from the ground and gave it back to my mom. Emma was just a youngster at the time, but yet so smart. It was the way she was, she just understand and words had not to be spoken.

We always took a walk there, while my mom often came on the bike later. Emma used to lie on our allotment and when she saw grandma up by the road she took off, full speed, tail wag and smiling face, to greet her. My mom always had some goodies for her and she couldn't wait to eat it on her lawn. Before she had pancreatitis back in August last year, it was always -her favorite, a piggy ear she got, after that mostly biscuits. She was so happy and proud coming back to me with her piggy ear to show off! I can see her in my mind might know. -All wagging around in a nice bright summer day, snorting with a big pig ear in her grinning mouth, before laying down to peacefully chew it. She was so happy and at that time life couldn't be better for any of us.

Once in a while, while I was working in the garden, I turned around to my girl and she was gone. The gate was most often open and she was free to walk the property outside. Our allotment is in the edge of the allotment area and there is a big lawn, a small wooden area and a dirt path up to the road. A very peaceful spot, for a sweet lab, wild animals and me. Emma once in a while decided to walk up the dirt path to my moms garden to visit her for awhile. I always looked for her a bit lost without her, but knew she never walked far away from me. Just around the big lawn, around the trees or up to visit my mom. I got peace of my mind once I saw her and it was the same to her when she ever lost sight of me. We were only whole together.

Emma was the mascot of the area and all loved her. Since she was so friendly and mellow, it was very rare people got afraid of her. Many people have been there for years and has known Emma for a long long time. Some even said they were afraid of other dogs, but not Emma because she was so kind. Her warm, golden hearted spirit glowed right through her. But there was one man, years ago, she didn't like. He scared her for some reason and she run against him to bark twice occasions. I never trusted that man.

Through the years there have been other dogs around there, but not for so long and never one leaving paw prints in the mud and in peoples hearts like my Emma. Thanks to a mad man who let his aggressive GSD roam without any control, jumping fences, poop in other peoples garden, chase rabbits and even attack people and chase away a cat the owners never got back, the area got a strict leash law in the area a couple of years back... All dogs accept Emma. She never had any written rules, she walked around and gently greeted people. No one never questioned about why I didn't keep her leashed. It was the way it should be, the way it always had been, she was one of a kind.

People walked by and either Emma was outside laying by the fence, gently walking around or at her favorite spot on her little lawn, people went by and talked to her and she was the one they greeted first. If she was with my mom in her garden they always asked me were she was. People always told her what a great dog she was and how sweet she was. One time last summer a few people went by outside the fence. I have never seen them before, so I guess they were visitors. One of the men said "Is your dog as sweet as it looks?" I, without even a second of thinking: "Oh well she's even sweeter!" And I believe that is how most people is thinking of my girl.

She loved her gardens and she also was a little guarder of her gardens. Once, years ago, when we came from another direction after a walk we saw some kids sneak around the fences to steal veggies, flowers or just go ahead to destroy for others. I told her to chase away them and she headed right after them: full speed with her "big girl bark." The kids went through the hedge and over the road quicker than they ever had run before. My girl returned to me and I praised her. What a good good girl for protecting her gardens.

She was such a huge part of the gardens. People count on seeing her and me sunbath side by side a hot summer day. She enjoyed many years at her gardens facing spring, - blossom out to summer to fade to fall. She was the gardens and they will never, ever be the same to any of us again. Even tho I know, and you know, that not even death is strong enough to take her away from her gardens. Her spirit will live on forever out there, in my heart, in her grandma's heart, in the other gardeners heart and in the heart of mother nature. She was and will always be a huge part of it all, and for me she will be it all, always and forever.

Emma in one of her four gardens

Looking for grandma.
    Last edited by Emma the Lab; 12-04-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Veronica, that was such a great story. It is amazing the bond the two of you shared. It sound like Emma was loved by everyone....but just look at that sweet face, you just have to love her.

Casey loved her pig ears too, and like Emma after she had pancreatitis it was just biscuits for her too. The gardens there look so beautiful. We live on the second floor as well, Casey never minded because right down the stairs was the beach. She was an easy dog to please.

Please keep the stories coming, I really enjoy reading about Emma and her adventures. Take care
    Lisa

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Such a beautiful story; it is the very first thing I read this morning. Emma is such a beautiful girl. Thank you for sharing her with us.

Isn't it great to have a sister

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

oakley is offline Senior Member

Veronica, Thank you so much for telling us your story. What a great way to remember Emma.

Abbey2007 is offline Senior Member

You have such beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing and I surely look forward to reading another Emma story next Saturday.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Lovely tribute Veronica.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

thank you sweetie; for sharing your love with us. i look forward to many more!!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm a bit teary here, Veronica. What a wonderful story of your Emma. Please keep them coming and please take care of yourself. {{Hugs}} for you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

georgie is offline Senior Member

That was a wonderful story. Emma was a very special girl. Thanks for sharing her with us. She will never be forgotten.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I was just thinking this morning of you and was going to message you to see how you are doing. I'm so glad you decided to share Emma stories with us! It was a great story, it gave me vivid pictures of everything in my mind as I read it. I can't wait for the story next week. By the way, I hope you save those, perhaps one day... more will come of it? I think others might enjoy reading it too. Just an idea... just throwing it out there...
    I love the idea of allotment gardens - I know they are quite popular in Europe, not so much in Canada. Take care and thank you for sharing Emma with us!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast