HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!

kennemer is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP!

I have 3 dogs. A 4 year old beagle which is our first dog. Then we recently inherited my husbands dads 8 yr old choc. lab. But a month before we inherited this dog we purchased a yellow lab puppy that is now 5 months old. Here is my issue. They all were getting along well until recently. The choc lab is humping my yellow lab. Constantly! I cant get him to stop! He is hurting my puppy and no type of discipline is helping. All 3 dogs are male and none of them have been neutered. Because the labs are of hunting line we have no interest in neutering them. I dont know what to do! it is to the point that the puppy is scared of the other lab. He doesnt want to go outside and he hides behind my husband and i when we go outside. I have noticed that the puppy is starting to poop immediately after i feed him. (I still feed all of the dogs separately). My beagle was easy! I am at a loss for options and any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Neutering the 8 year old should stop the constant humping. You may want to discuss this with your vet. In the last few months, your dog family has changed from one to three. They all may need some time to adjust, especially the older Lab who has recently had a big life-change.
    If puppy poops immediately after feeding, that's great; you know exactly when to take him outside for potty training.
    Many feed multiple dogs separately, but I have always fed mine together, and never had trouble teaching them to respect each other's feeding bowls. It makes life much easier.
    Good luck with your new dog family. It will get easier as they have time to adjust to their new life together.

oakley is offline Senior Member

Honestly, you need to be open to neutering the dogs.
    the other idea i have is to leash the 8 yo to you so you can manage his behaviour.
    Be consistent in correcting him when he is humping the puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Are you not neutering because you think it will inhibit drive? In my experience that is not a real cause for concern.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

What our breeder taught us to put the dog on its back soon as they start humping. Its gets more challenging when they are full size labs but it works. We did that with our pups when they were humping like crazy before being neutered. We would put them on their back immedietly and wait till their calm (a minute or two) then they could get back up. I hope it all gets better for you. Neutering is something to consider.
    Hunter & Chrome

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't know if it is the same with males, but our three females are all spayed & none have lost their drive/desire to hunt.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

How long has the 8 year old been with you? By "not long" are talking weeks? (if I read thru the lines above it sounds as though you have had the 8 year old 2 mts now?)

You have three dogs in a state of flux right now. Your bealge who was an only dog and is thankfully laying low, a puppy still in full puppy development and an 8 year old who was (??) an only dog all his life and is after 8 years thrown into a new household. Keep in mind that even if the 8 year old was well trained and a good dog, as the new owner you do have to refresh the commands within your household (new owner, new rules, normal for dogs to test these even if they were "perfectly trained" before). You have to develop your relationship with this new dog like you do with a puppy (the up side is it will be much faster as he knows these things).

Personally, I would suppervise 100% of the interactions between the 8 year old and the puppy. Keep constant corrections on the 8 year old (I had a foster that humped, so I would pull him off and say "no hump". it took awhile to correct but he eventually humped less and less over a few months). This is going to take many repetitions and take some time. Also try to spend some time with each dog individually. I understand this may be hard to do every day but over a week do something special with each dog.

I personally do not believe in alpha rolls, dogs know we are not "dogs". HOWEVER, if you try it, be very very careful, if not done properly I can see the full sized dog you are trying to "pin" get hurt (or heck, you may get hurt yourself!)

Feeding seperately is very normal for alot of multi-dog households, and if puppy poops after eating then as mentionned above - great, you have a routine, take the pup out!

I am ALL for neutering but in this particular case do not believe it will "fix" the problem, BUT it may make it easier to fix (and quicker).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I'm with Tanya that it sounds more like a dominance behavior than because of hormones. So it will be a discipline thing, as well as time to get used to the new surroundings and dynamics in the family. You may need to start giving time-outs to the older dog. And in all earnestness, I am not trying to preach about what is right, but you may want to discuss neutering the older one with your vet if there's any way at all you could even consider that as an option. I'm not saying that it will fix the behavior on its own, or that it's the only way to solve the problem. However, it could help.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    I don't know if it is the same with males, but our three females are all spayed & none have lost their drive/desire to hunt.
    It is an old wives tale to say the lack of hormones inhibits the drive/desire to hunt. Just like the one where you have to keep your hunting dog outside or it will lose its edge.

Laura

fourlabs is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a dominance issue to me. The dogs are trying to figure out their place in the pack. The choc boy is trying to let the puppy know who's boss. Neutering would help. My boys were humping each other and my 2 spayed females frequently until they were neutered at 13 months. We did correct them and it did help but neutering them really helped. Once in a great while I will find the youngest boy humping my 11year old female but immediate correction reminds him that it isn't allowed and he quits. The correction is usually just a stern reprimand and if I have to I will pull him off to get quicker results!!! I think they can learn not to do this but they will need reminders. In the meantime the puppy could get hurt and it is a shame to have the puppy be afraid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast