Once again, I'm amazed at Lab intelligence

Thread: Once again, I'm amazed at Lab intelligence

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOnce again, I'm amazed at Lab intelligence

Labs, like humans, must continue to develop intellectually as they age. Every now and then Duke will respond to a statement that I never knew he would understand.
    Our usual routine at home at bedtime is to let the boys out back for one last time before locking up. Last night Liz said she was going to bed to read while I finished watching a show on TV. Duke, as usual, always sticks with his mom so he went with her to the bedroom.
    Meanwhile Freckles, as always, is beside me on the couch. As soon as I click the TV off Freckles and Duke will run to the back door.
    About fifteen minutes before the end of the show I must have hollered something to Liz that made Duke think it was time to go out.
    He came trotting into the den but just as he cleared the door I told him in a casual manner "Not Yet" and without missing a step he did a U-turn and went back to the bedroom. He thoroughly understood that "not yet" meant "not yet time to go out".
    Just amazing.
    Last edited by Dukesdad; 12-03-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yep they are so smart, good boy Duke.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Smart boy, that Duke is!

I believe they learn most of their behaviours through repetition. We certainly know that is true for all those things we try to teach them, Sit, Down, Come, etc. I bet you have said 'Not yet' many times and Duke has figured it out. And you didn't even know you were training. <g>
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Good job Duke!

Lexi is sometimes so scary smart, understanding things I swear she doesn't, that I just have to stop! Conversely, we all know they have their completely opposite moments when they don't remember a dam thing, including their names.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

My father used to say that a smart dog has the intelligence of a 3 year old child and we know how smart 3 year olds are.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Conversely, we all know they have their completely opposite moments when they don't remember a dam thing, including their names.
    Oh how well I know. It's called "selective hearing" and yes they can turn it on and off at will.
    Freckles exercises that option much more than Duke however. Many times when I take them to the dog park I would like to keep them dry and out of the water as my time may be limited and it saves me from drying time. We can be at the far back of the park and if Freckeles decides he wants to swim off he goes on a bee line for the pond. At that point he becomes totally deaf to my hollering.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Oh Duke, you smart handsome boy!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Smart boy, Duke. I am amazed when DH & I are talking and we say something like "go out" & all three come a running. And yes....there are times none of mine know their names.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

As dogs age they stop being dogs and become "furry people" and are able to understand everything.

My old lovely cocker once left me in shock. My nieces lost the remote control of the TV and my mom was all angry looking for it behind the couch cushions. All of a sudden the cocker jumped on the couch and started scratching on a corner... I dug up behind the couch walls and guess what... there was the remote.... it was really amazing that she totally understood what we were looking for.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb

HersheyK's Dad said:
    And you didn't even know you were training.
    Someone once told me that every time a person interacts with their dog they are training.

That's really amazing to think about and no doubt the reason dogs seem to be able to 'mind read' as they approach their senior years - that's a lot of training time....
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09