OMG Help Help Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG Help Help Help

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultOMG Help Help Help

I have a big problem and need real help. Today Parker BIT THE FED EX GUY. Ahgggg. Parker is basically a sweetie, but is very obnoxious and I can't figure out how to get him to behave. He is just a big loppy dog. I don't think he bit the guy viciously just in a playful way but I am waiting to hear from the guy to find out how it happened. Daddy was cutting the grass in the backyard and came around the front to find the police, and paramedics there bandaging up the guy. He had about a 1" gash but does not need stitches. I wish I had an excuse for this but frankly I don't. My daughter says he was just being protective but I don't think so.

By obnoxious I mean he is into everything, king of snatch, grab and run, always barging ahead, getting into things. I had to get his shot records from the vet which I did and I spoke to them about someone training him and they said Bark Busters. I"ve already talked to this guy and he charges $600 for the first visit. I can't afford that! Can someone please please help me.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

You do realize you have to quarantine your dog for 10 days after a bite, right? He cannot go anywhere. If you violate that quarantine, animal control can come and take your dog and do a rabie test on him.

Laura

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Do you have any more details on what happened? Did he just run up to the postman and bite him? Was the postman taking something away from him? Talking to your daughter?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes I do. My dogs are never out during the day anyway, they only go out when we are home. I'm sure I'll be hearing from the health department.

labby is offline Senior Member

Okay, just checking. Regardless of what happened, I'd hate to have them take your dog.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How old is he? How did he manage to access the Fed Ex guy? Is he loose and unsupervised? This is serious business regardless of your dog's intent.

For training - contact your local Labrador breed club. Here is one in your area. http://www.mvlrc.org/ Private lessons are probably not necessary, IMHO. If he is a typical undertrained, underexercised Lab he will probably be simple to correct with direction from a trainer and a WHOLE lot of work on your part.

In the meantime - he should never, never have access to people without being on a leash under your control.

Many dogs have problems with strangers wearing uniforms "trespassing" on their property. But that is no excuse for what happened.

You can probably expect to be sued, minimally for Doctor/Hospital bills and probably pain and suffering as well. Any kind of accident on your property you are liable for. In most states, dogs get one "free" bite before the board of health/animal control gets involved and declares him dangerous. You probably will get some sort of warning.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Laws on this subject vary widely, state to state, or even town to town. No help from me on the past, can't change it and the laws as they exist where you are will prevail.

Here, first bite off your property gets your dog classified as potentially dangerous. Must be leashed off your property, contained, (fence) within you property. Second bite, dog is declared dangerous and viscious, must be leashed at all times unless in the house. Out of the house must be leashed and controlled by a human. A bite is broken/punctured skin, not a scrape. Third bite the dog is put down.

Tricky exception here. If these bites are provoked, or on your property with the intent of protecting that property from a stranger, or off the property with the observed intent of protecting a family member, all of the above is negated. Strange laws.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    ...In the meantime - he should never, never have access to people without being on a leash under your control...
    Not to sound nasty, but that sounds like what the problem is- not enough control over the dog (I'm assuming from the size of the wound that Parker isn't a puppy). From the original post: ...By obnoxious I mean he is into everything, king of snatch, grab and run, always barging ahead, getting into things...
    That statement says to me that maybe Parker thinks he's in control and needs some training. Again, I'm not trying to be nasty, but you asked for help, and gaining control over him is the only way to stop this from happening again.

Something to keep in mind, Parker more then likely has a bite record on file now. There may be certain things your town requires of you and him now. You might want to ask about that.

Thank you all for your replies. Parker is 2, has no other bite record. We have an invisible fence and he was on our property. He was not for the most part "unsupervised". Dad was in the yard but in the back at the time. The dogs go back and forth from front to back. We had no notice the guy was coming, did not remember anything being delivered by Fed Ex. If we know something is going to be delivered they stay inside just to be on the safe side.

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    You do realize you have to quarantine your dog for 10 days after a bite, right? He cannot go anywhere. If you violate that quarantine, animal control can come and take your dog and do a rabie test on him.
    not quite right - a rabies test is not something that can be done on a living animal ... however the idea is correct

in most places Parker will be quaratined - and if you don't have solid fencing somewhere they may not allow you to do it at home - they will take him or you may be able to pay to board him at the vets

I can't believe he is 2 already
    WOW
    I'm sorry this happened but it's all a learning curve - I'm glad the guy wasn't hurt too badly .. but obviously you need to sort out the idea of supervision while the dogs are out ..
    hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast