My Granddog

Thread: My Granddog

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy Granddog

My daughters dog Dixie is going to be 7 (she is half Catahula and half Australian Shepherd) in Feb. Every August, for the past 4 years she breaks out with allergies? Every year it just gets a little bit worse and lasts a little bit longer. This year they even had to put on a cone of shame.....she just itches herself raw, despite shots, pills, shampoos etc.
    DD also had a heck of a time when Dixie was younger, trying to find a dog food that she wouldn't upchuck all the time. She finally settled on (of all things) Beniful (sp).
    I mentioned to her that maybe she should try another dog food again.....
    I welcome any suggestions and thank you for them in advance.
    Last edited by Mary Jane; 11-30-2010 at 02:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about Dixie's allergy issues. Sounds like horrible seasonal allergies. Might be worth considering trying Benadryl or something, but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for prolonged use...
    I can't quite follow the first sentence about the food. Is that also referring to Dixie? Are they able to narrow it down to a particular ingredient that is causing problems?

Bella

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad View Post
    I can't quite follow the first sentence about the food. Is that also referring to Dixie? Are they able to narrow it down to a particular ingredient that is causing problems?
    I fixed the sentence. Thank you. Benadryl - she goes on that or something comparable in August. I have seen others mention allergies and ear infections related to the food they were on and decided to try grasping at a few straws LOL!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

uxhamby is offline Junior Member

DefaultFish oils & sardines ?

How about the sardines & fish oils ? I hear that these help but have no first hand experience.

Hope this helps,

Brian H.
    Uxbridge Ontario Canada

joflake is offline Senior Member

I would try a different food if I was her until you found one that worked. Willy had awful skin problems when we got him and it took me about a year and a half of benedryl, allergy meds, food swtiches, etc. until I found out what worked for him. It turned out he was allergic to dust mites. Go figure. So we switched him to a good quality food and started keeping his food and treats in the freezer. No more skin problems.

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    I would try a different food if I was her until you found one that worked. Willy had awful skin problems when we got him and it took me about a year and a half of benedryl, allergy meds, food swtiches, etc. until I found out what worked for him. It turned out he was allergic to dust mites. Go figure. So we switched him to a good quality food and started keeping his food and treats in the freezer. No more skin problems.
    So what did you try to eliminate from his food? Anything in particular? How in the world did you discover he was allergic to dust mites?

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Dixie. Allergies are so hard to pinpoint.

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Sundance had horrible allergies when we adopted him. We started seeing a doggie dermatologist, and had him tested. Your daughter might want to do the same for her dog, otherwise it's hit-and-miss trying to find the problem. We give Sundance a shot of anti-dustmite serum every two weeks, and he acts like a dog with no allergies. It's so hard to see them itch and suffer.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Erns had horrible food allergies. At first I thought food with Dixie, then reread it and you said every August. Is this seasonal?? Kassa would get itchy feet, around her chin and ears in autumn when the grass started getting wet. We made sure her feet and chin were dry, then washed her feet in Nyzarol (a human shampoo vet told us to use)and it stopped.

Erns food allergies didn't have time off no matter what month of the year.

Good thoughts.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/