Scout going to 4 week training boot camp tomorrow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout going to 4 week training boot camp tomorrow

Scout's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultScout going to 4 week training boot camp tomorrow

I made the decision to send Scout to a 4 week boot camp where he will be clicker/food trained. He really needs more intensive training than I can provide. He is going to the same place I took him to obedience class. They are wonderful there and absolutely only do positive training. The owner of this doggy daycare/training facility has a lab that was just as hyper and crazy as Scout. I left him in doggy daycare for a day and they evaluated and said he should do great. He had no problems with other dogs, loved being with the daycare staff and had no anxiety. He will be trained 3 - 4 times per day. They will even take him to parks and busy places so that he can learn how to behave in public and not jump on people or other dogs. It is expensive, but worth it to get him to behave in a more acceptable manner. They also have me visit around 6 times and train me. If I every have any trouble with him in the future I can take him back and they will provide free training at their facility. So I think I feel good about the guarantee and absolutely love all the staff.

What do you think? Some people think it is a bad idea to have others train your dog, but I will be involved too. I will miss him because he will be there full time for 28 days.

Thanks,
    Debbie (Scout's Mom)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Its not something I would want to do myself, but you know scout and your situation better then anyone, so I wish you both well! Good luck and keep us updated- Di

Thanks Di. I didn't think I wanted to do it either, but he needs a crash course in obedience and they will be training me too throughout the time Scout is there. They even give me CD's of his training so I can see how they are training him and what works best. I put a lot of thought into this and it is my sincere hope that it helps speed up the training process. He has been a real challenge and would like to see his behavior become more socially acceptable.
    Debbie (Scout's Mom)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

It's a tough way to get trained however, if he's returned to you a happy, well behaved dog and you both are happy, I guess that's what counts. Good luck and keep us posted.

brody is offline Senior Member

how old is scout now?
    I hoep it works out for you both
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

He is six months old. I can feel that no one agrees with what I'm choosing to do and I feel a little bad because I really trust the wisdom provided on this board. Scout is getting better, much better, but I can't stop the behavior of jumping on everyone countersurfing, and other socially acceptable things. I just need some help. Also I have to go to China for two weeks during his stay so I figure he might as well get training while I'm gone
    Debbie (Scout's Mom)

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

I think it's a fine thing to do. We actually send Sally to a 2-week training camp, mainly for recall and some other things.

As long we they keep you involved and provide follow-up support (this is very important), there's no big deal. Not that much different than taking them to an obedience class, which is getting an expert to lead the way in showing you what to do.

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that the problem is , that the dog will behave around the people who do most of the training, which won't be you. I know you said you would be going there several times, but it's learning how to teach the dog and then working with dog yourself that really builds a bond and gets a better behaved dog. I doubt if they can train him not to counter surf, unless they keep him in their house, where he has access to counter-surfing. However, it should help some, but you're going to have to continue the training, and know how the trained him. Clicker training is an art for the handler too - timing is critical - if you don't time your clicking correctly, you end up rewarding the wrong behavior.I do wish you guys luck though

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I think that the problem is , that the dog will behave around the people who do most of the training, which won't be you. I know you said you would be going there several times, but it's learning how to teach the dog and then working with dog yourself that really builds a bond and gets a better behaved dog. I doubt if they can train him not to counter surf, unless they keep him in their house, where he has access to counter-surfing. However, it should help some, but you're going to have to continue the training, and know how the trained him. Clicker training is an art for the handler too - timing is critical - if you don't time your clicking correctly, you end up rewarding the wrong behavior.I do wish you guys luck though
    My toughts exact. Training is a HUGE HUGE part of bonding with a dog. My relationship with Rocky was good but once we started training (lots of classes, regulary) it changed, we were a team.

Dogs can also be abit "new house new rules" which works great in some ways (say if you let dogs on the furniture but your friends do not, that is easily trained, new house new rules) so alot of work will still need to be done once the dog is home.

But bottom line - you know your dog and your situation, do what you need to do. I have also ever experience this so I don't really know how it works. Good luck! I
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

joflake is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others about training and bonding with your dog. However, I'd rather see a dog put through this kind of intensive training and return home as a well behaved pet, than end up in a shelter like other out of control labs because the owners didn't know how to train it. I'm not saying this applies to you, please don't take it that way. As long as you go there as often as you can and learn their methods, and continue with the training when he's home, I think it could work out well. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast