Fox Red labradors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox Red labradors

mistonia is offline Senior Member

DefaultFox Red labradors

just wondering if fox red lab pups can be registered as fox red with english kennel club or do they get registered as yellow. I have a litter of gorgeous lab pups and two are a true fox red. looking at registering using online system and only colour they would offer to register pups was Yellow, both sire and dam registered yellow, though sire was fox red.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yellow Dog is offline Member

I was under the impression that the only three recognized colors of labs are black, chocolate, and yellow.

On the AKC forms I just sent in for my puppy, only those three colors were listed on the form. From everything I have read, I always thought that fox red was just considered a shade of yellow.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

The breed standard on The Kennel Club's website states:
    Colour
    Wholly black, yellow or liver/chocolate. Yellows range from light cream to red fox. Small white spot on chest permissible.
    Retriever (Labrador) Breed Standard - The Kennel Club

So I would assume fox reds are registered as yellow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mistonia is offline Senior Member

thanks yellow they will be registered as. will post pictures soon, its nice as the dog owner has taken three for his family and himself, we are keeping one and the other 5 are going to friends and friends of the family, so never eveb had to advertise them.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Fox red is a variation of yellow. Kate's sire is fox red.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mistonia View Post
    thanks yellow they will be registered as. will post pictures soon, its nice as the dog owner has taken three for his family and himself, we are keeping one and the other 5 are going to friends and friends of the family, so never eveb had to advertise them.
    Well, I guess I'll be the first to ask....what's the pedigree and why did you breed your dog?

I'm pretty suspect of them actually being fox red because a true fox red is as red as a irish setter...and most people who don't know what they are doing think a dark yellow lab is a fox red. Not the case at all. But I guess if you would have been breeding with a mentor you would have known this because your breeder would have told you about them and you would have already done the proper amount of research before you bred your dog. What are their health clearances and titles? Did you sell on a limited registration with a spay and neuter contract? How old were the parents.

See, we're a bunch of lab lovers around here that protect the breed, and are somewhat suspect of someone announcing a litter that they are unsure about how to register them (appearing as you don't know the standard), and that my friend, smells like a back yard breeder doing disservice to our beloved breed.

Now, I know that some people are going to be bummed that I posted a "negative" to this post, but frankly, sugar coating that we are okay with another average joe breeding a litter for shits and giggles gets old when there are so many of us who are either rescuing dogs or in fact breeding correctly and to the breed standard.

Flame suit on.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

Cinnamon is a fox red and registered as yellow. Her parents were both on the white end of the yellow spectrum but I have learned the sires mother was a fox red.
    Karon and Cinnamon

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Well, I guess I'll be the first to ask....what's the pedigree and why did you breed your dog?

I'm pretty suspect of them actually being fox red because a true fox red is as red as a irish setter...and most people who don't know what they are doing think a dark yellow lab is a fox red. Not the case at all. But I guess if you would have been breeding with a mentor you would have known this because your breeder would have told you about them and you would have already done the proper amount of research before you bred your dog. What are their health clearances and titles? Did you sell on a limited registration with a spay and neuter contract? How old were the parents.

See, we're a bunch of lab lovers around here that protect the breed, and are somewhat suspect of someone announcing a litter that they are unsure about how to register them (appearing as you don't know the standard), and that my friend, smells like a back yard breeder doing disservice to our beloved breed.

Now, I know that some people are going to be bummed that I posted a "negative" to this post, but frankly, sugar coating that we are okay with another average joe breeding a litter for shits and giggles gets old when there are so many of us who are either rescuing dogs or in fact breeding correctly and to the breed standard.

Flame suit on.
    Actually, Dani, the reason I didn't bring all that up is because I wasn't sure how different breeding practices are in England.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Did you sell on a limited registration
    I do not believe that England has limited registration.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

because.
    Last edited by Dani; 11-28-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast