Need Advise on Outdoor Puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advise on Outdoor Puppy

Fenwick is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed Advise on Outdoor Puppy

Hi All - I am new to this forum. I found the forum while searching for advise about the pro/ cons of bringing a new puppy into our home that has been raised outside. We lost our 4 year old lab, Fenwick, very suddenly 2 weeks ago (his intestines turned and we could not save him). While we do have other pets (cats and a 14 year old Airedale), our home is empty without Fenwick (oh...and we have also been missing a our year old cat for over a month that we rescued when he was a kitten...he escaped through a window and we have not found him. He was the other "big" personality in our home).
    Anyway, I have found a couple puppies that are 4 months old. They are the remaining two of a littler born in July. They have been living in the breeders kennel I assume with their other labs. The breeder said that they have "visited" inside their home, and they are starting to crate train and do some obedience training. They are hunting as well. My worry is that they may be too acclimated to outdoor living to have them be part of our household. I do not want to be unfair to the puppy by bringing him into an indoor environment. We are drawn to this puppy because we are specifically searching for a lab that comes from a lineage of larger dogs. Fenwick was an American Lab from field trial champs...he was 94 lbs of craziness and love.
    Any advise?
    Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Beth

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Labs are indoor dogs, and trust me, you will have no issues whatsoever aclimating him into the great indoors. None whatsoever.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I don't think the pup will have a problem adjusting. In fact, I suspect he/she will be thrilled to become an inside dog always around people. When we adopted Chamois, she was about 3 months old (so slightly younger than those you are looking at), and had a pretty rough start. She was a rescue, so we didn't have any history, but it was clear that the litter of pups had been kept outdoors with minimal care and essentially no socialization. She adapted really quickly, the only thing that was a bit more challenging than with Toby (whom we got a 7.5 weeks) was housebreaking. But whether that was due to her being an outside pup or was just a personality thing, I can't say for sure.

Sorry to hear about Fenwick. And I hope your cat comes home safely.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Definitely, bring the new pup inside!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Agree-- I fostered several dogs that I'm sure were outside dogs in their past lives, and they adjusted just fine. good luck!

I think I read Fenwicks story (so sorry for your loss) but are you sure it was his intestines that turned? Never heard of that. Gastric torsion is when the stomach flips. Or there is something called intestinal intussusception too, but it doesnt fit that description of flipping either. Intussusception of the Intestines in Dogs

If it was bloat, just realize that the bigger, deeper chested dogs w/ the smaller waists are the ones that tend to be more prone to this. I'd put the pup on something like BacPak Plus probios/digestive enzymes if so, as that will help w/ gastric health. Good luck!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Garth is offline Registered Users

When I adopted my GSD at 11yo, she had been an outside dog all her life. She's adjusted just fine to being an indoor dog right from day 1. I think she thought she'd won the lottery when she came home with me.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry you lost Fenwick especially so young. The new puppy will ease the pain of your loss. I rescued Duke( not Lab) at age 8 months. He was an outside dog and loved being a house dog. He was very easy to housebreak too.
    Don't give up on your lost cat. He may turn up at your door when you least expect.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I absolutely agree that you will have no problem adjusting your new puppy to indoor living. Labs are social animals - they thrive when they are amongst 'their people'. In fact, I believe in no time at all, your new puppy will be taking over your sofa and bed!

Fenwick is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the link...what the vet told us is that just where the stomach and intestines connect, the intestine flipped. The vet said that it is veryrare for this to happen, but the risk is higher in larger dogs. Unfortunately, Fenwick also had an autoimmune disease called polyarthritis. He was on high doses of prednizone and another drug. The day that he died, he was fine all day and then suddenly started vomiting. At first, I thought that he ate too fast (he was eating like crazy on the pred). As soon as he threw up blood, I rushed him to the vet. Of course, no one has a crystal ball and the vet ran their blood tests, etc, saw the extremely high liver enzymes and finally after about 2 hours decided to open him up...at that point, the intestines were gray and they could not save him. I don't know if they had opened him immediately if the outcome would have been different. I trust that they did the best that they could for him and can't second guess the whole thing...it would drive me crazy. It was by far, the worst day of my life.

On a much more positive note, I appreciate the encouragement on the puppy. I really wanted to make sure that I was being fair to the pup! I am so happy that I found this forum of Lab Lovers!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

My neighbors had a Lab kenneled outside for 11 years. We live in Minnesota. Two years ago, I convinced them to bring the poor dog inside for at least the winter. They have always had their dogs outside, but finally agreed to try it. The dog had never been in the house before that day. The dog had no issues. He was self potty trained. And he never moved back outside for the remaining year and a half that he lived. They have another Lab now. This one has been an inside dog from day 1.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast