Storm is getting a friend!

Thread: Storm is getting a friend!

Leeann is offline Junior Member

DefaultStorm is getting a friend!

The house is buzzing with excitement for the arrival of the new puppy. Storm is going to have a friend! While everyone else is so excited I am nervous, Ive never introduced a pup to an older dog in my home before so I dont know what to expect.

Storm is almost two years now and she has been with us for about 6/7 months now, she used to be with another dog but has not had another dog around since being with us. She is still like a puppy herself and im worried she might hurt the new dog by mistake.

Am I being silly with all this worry?

Does anyone have some tips for me how to introduce them properly and what I should expect over the first few weeks?

BTW, the new pup will be a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the new arrival. This was about the time span I introduced my two. Let them sniff each other out - and make sure the new pup gets plenty of safe down time in his cage. Can't wait for pictures !

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! I was really nervous how Sedona would accept Keegan when I brought her home, but it worked out great. Sedona kept poking Keegan with her nose, so cute. Sedona was 2 yo also, a good age as she is still really young so they play all the time. Good luck.

Isn't it great to have a sister

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! You never know, but my guess is that Storm will be thrilled with a puppy. She may turn into a mother and protect puppy.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Labs and ridgebacks both have the same style of play. They are rough and noisy, but have a blast with each other. Adult labs are usually pretty in tune with the limitations of smaller dogs/pups, so I don't think you have too much to worry about. You're in for a boisterous household, have fun!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I love Rhodesian Ridgebacks! Hope to see some pics when he (or she) arrives

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Misha was over a year and 1/2 when I brought Homer and he was barely 8 weeks old. She was indeed too rough at times with little Homer but as much as you think they can hurt the pup, they know what to do. It might take them a little bit of trial and error to find it out, but they will do, the best thing you can do is let them figure it out on their own and don´t intervene unless it´s a real case of aggression rather than playing.

From what I know Rodhesians are rough "rugged" dogs so I wouldn´t worry at all. Probably Storm is the one that will get the most when the Rodhesian is around 6 months and full of energy

Samson is offline Senior Member

My two have a couple of ridgeback pals at the dog park !

My two initiate biteyface with each other and the ridgebacks are fascinated but they don't join in yet !

They are only eight months old though !