Autumn had her first visit to the dog park today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn had her first visit to the dog park today

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAutumn had her first visit to the dog park today

We finally got permission from the vet to let her out and explore the world so we spent a short time at the dog park today. She got tumbled pretty good by a bigger dog, and was a bit hesitant after that. But once she finally settled in and found a friend she didn't want to leave!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Bless!! She really enjoyed herself...it's so lovely seeing them play like that. I never tire of it.

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Please be extremely careful at dog parks. Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Derby has never been to one, never will be. My friend has a dog (Boxer) who used to go, but was attacked several times, one time so serious he ended up at the vet. Derby was attacked by my upstairs neighbor's dog. She managed to slip her collar and went after him. They were both leashed. She did not use to be so dog aggressive, but when she was younger, he took her to the dog park and she, too, was attacked a few times. Now her mantra is "I'm going to get them before they get me." She would have done serious damage to Derby had I not had my hand in her mouth (I was wearing gloves), trying to pry her mouth off of him. She was serious about doing some damage to him. A better alternative is to try and find a group of dogs and let them play some place where they can be supervised. Too many idiot owners at dog parks, IMO.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

AWESOME She reminds me so much of Malone at that age. He was hesitant and a little shy at first too, more so at puppy class. After getting nipped once or twice at the dog park, now he is cautious with who he approaches. For the most part, all the dog owners/dogs are great at the dog park here...

have fun!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

That's great! I'm glad she had a good time, but agree with others to be wary of the DP & don't let a good time here or there take your guard down. There are many idiot dog owners out there with unbalanced dogs running free. Diesel has had his butt kicked so many times I worried it would affect his behaviour & confidence down the road so now we avoid the parks like the plague. Which I hate because he gets so excited & wants to follow the dogs headed that way. It just isn't worth it IMO to risk his safety for the sake of tuckering him out. That's why I opted to take him to doggie daycare where they screen for behavioural issues. Good luck & always keep your wits about you!

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

Glad Autumn had a good time. I also avoid dog parks as a lot in the area I live are unfenced. I take my dogs to dog day care weekly too for socialization. Dog park can be a great place to meet people, I met a good friend at the dog park and now her lab & mine play weekly.
    Hunter & Chrome

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

Oh I wish mine could go to the dog park. Grace need to wear herself out. Grace will be 4 months on 12/6 and another round of shots on 12/4 Yeh

Great video of your baby

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom View Post
    Please be extremely careful at dog parks. Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Derby has never been to one, never will be. My friend has a dog (Boxer) who used to go, but was attacked several times, one time so serious he ended up at the vet. Derby was attacked by my upstairs neighbor's dog. She managed to slip her collar and went after him. They were both leashed. She did not use to be so dog aggressive, but when she was younger, he took her to the dog park and she, too, was attacked a few times. Now her mantra is "I'm going to get them before they get me." She would have done serious damage to Derby had I not had my hand in her mouth (I was wearing gloves), trying to pry her mouth off of him. She was serious about doing some damage to him. A better alternative is to try and find a group of dogs and let them play some place where they can be supervised. Too many idiot owners at dog parks, IMO.
    ditto.

I have a dog park a block from my house and we never go there. I think that they are rather unnatural environments. If you have the same group of dogs showing up at the same time - then it's not so bad, but a new strange group of dogs with every visit is not a positive IMO.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

Thanks for the warning Big Brown Dog. The dog park Grace and I will go to is private and you have to pay........... They temperment test each dog and they all have to have there vaccines and spay/neuter. Check it out. Wagspark.com.

Rae

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Thanks for the warning Big Brown Dog. The dog park Grace and I will go to is private and you have to pay........... They temperment test each dog and they all have to have there vaccines and spay/neuter. Check it out. Wagspark.com.

Rae
    OMG! I would LOVE that! what a neat idea Is it clean (i.e. of dog poop)? One of my biggest issues here is there is so much freaken poop at the parks! (I have a poop eater)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast