Diesel's Doggie Daycare Assessment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel's Doggie Daycare Assessment

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

CoolDiesel's Doggie Daycare Assessment

He's been approved!!!

We were greeted as soon as we came in, they walked him around the store part of the centre first to get him used to the smells, etc. He met one of the senior dogs they keep up front as they are too old to run & play with the others, a very friendly & sweet chocolate Lab named Bailey!

Then they had to coax him with treats when they tried to bring him into the back, I don't think he liked the look of the long hallway! I was in a room able to watch everything through a window. They had cleared the play room to allow Diesel a chance to sniff out the joint & they threw the ball around for him a bit. After a few minutes they brought in 2 dogs to start, gradually a few more dogs were added until he was in there with about 20 dogs! All off leash, no collars, 3 attendants to referee.

Overall he did really well. He was very submissive, as I anticipated. His ears were back most of the time but since he was still running, playing & interacting they said it wasn't a sign of fear, just caution, knowing he was the new kid on the block. His tail went between his legs a few times & he would go into an immediate sit when another dog barked at him or blocked his path. I still can't believe how many dogs he was running free with. He looked nervous, a little anxious at times but I love how he kept himself in the mix with a look on his face like "I think they like me! It'll get better, if I don't piss anybody off!"

I'm planning on taking him there once a week to give him a good workout but also to give him some fun & keep his social skills in check! I took video of it but it didn't turn out well, so here are the pics from the cab ride home...you'll see why I opted to cab it instead of the long haul on the subway!!!

I's is sleepy mama...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Oh my goodness - he is so cute and looks so much like my Aila! Glad he made it into daycare -- do you have to take him there and back in a cab all the time? That must be interesting - didn't think cab drivers would take dogs in their cars.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkeizer View Post
    Oh my goodness - he is so cute and looks so much like my Aila! Glad he made it into daycare -- do you have to take him there and back in a cab all the time? That must be interesting - didn't think cab drivers would take dogs in their cars.
    LOL! I always look at your Aila in your sig pic & think the same! Cab drivers don't mind if you let dispatch know you have the dog, it just takes longer to get a cab to you & good luck trying to hail one on the fly! The cab was an exception, it would kill my wallet to take him in a cab going forward... cost me $50!!! (there & back). But, it was raining pretty hard & he was already acting like he knew something was up so I didn't want to add to his anxiety.

To take the subway (one way).... 20 minutes to walk to the station, down 2 flights of ceramic tiled stairs (which he hates & wet paws are a nightmare!) 20 minute subway ride & another 20 minute walk to the daycare. The assessment was important he be as relaxed & normal as possible. Subway going forward, bad weather I will just have to take more time to get him there & maybe bring a towel. I've checked out other daycares, this is the only one I trust. It will be a huge pain in my butt to do this for him (2 hours there & back for a 3 hour visit!!), but he's so totally worth it & with winter coming, our best option.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Glad he was accepted - wow what a route to have to take but hey that's good old T.O. for ya

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

That's great news! My one regret with Jake is that we didn't keep going to daycare - he really could've used the extra interaction with dogs. Charlotte loves daycare and I don't think I'll ever have another dog that doesn't go to some form of dog daycare. Plus when they come home super sleepy it's nice for us too

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Yay Diesel!!!

Amanda

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Good boy Diesel!!!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good doggy day care - they take their business seriously, I like that.
    Diesel is such a cutie, and he looks exhausted! LOL

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Awww Diesel, you are SUCH a cutie! Maloney went to his first doggie daycare on Friday and he was exhausted for 3 days

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    To take the subway (one way).... 20 minutes to walk to the station, down 2 flights of ceramic tiled stairs (which he hates & wet paws are a nightmare!) 20 minute subway ride & another 20 minute walk to the daycare. The assessment was important he be as relaxed & normal as possible. Subway going forward, bad weather I will just have to take more time to get him there & maybe bring a towel. I've checked out other daycares, this is the only one I trust. It will be a huge pain in my butt to do this for him (2 hours there & back for a 3 hour visit!!), but he's so totally worth it & with winter coming, our best option.
    Wow - that is quite the trek... the things we do for our pups! Good thing the subway allows dogs -- our skytrain (same as your subway), doesn't allow dogs unless they are assistance dogs or small enough to fit into a carry bag. At 65lbs right now, I would need a really big carry bag and it would have to be on wheels if I wanted to take Aila on the train.

I hope Diesel enjoys daycare - I bet you'll have a very tired pup on daycare days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast