Question about dogs chewing their nails

Thread: Question about dogs chewing their nails

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about dogs chewing their nails

This is for DS, one of his rescues- Howie, Granddoggie#1, only the order, I'm not playing favorites He chews his nails- not the paw, and not all the time, but he chews them really short, and DS is wondering how to get him to stop and probable causes. My thoughts would be boredom, anxiety or allergy's. They get a lot of exercise - get to go out fishing with DS everyday he is off, lots of fetch and running on the beach. DS plays Frisbee with Howie and he loves it, man can he jump! When they are in they usually just chilling. As far as allergies go, he has no scratching or chewing anywhere else, and its just his nails he chews on. DS is worried that he could injure himself, they are chewed down really short
    I suggested putting bitter apple on them, or getting him a " collar of shame" to wear for a week or so it see if they could get them to grow out a little bit and keep him from nawing on them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Allergies are a good thought. Dogs with allergies often have Malassezia infections of the nails - and sometimes with those you'll see a brown-reddish discoloration close to the base of the nail and streaking outward. Of course, if the nails are black that's harder to see It's easy for a vet to check: scrape nail schmutz onto slide, press, stain and look at slide under scope. Other infections are possible too, but Malassezia tends to be super itchy and is fairly common. I'd check in with the vet to rule that out first because it's easier to treat than anxiety or boredom IMO. He can get a topical spray, lotion, or shampoo to use to get rid of the malassezia - if you have Malaseb wipes he could try those too.

He could also try washing the feet off after the dogs come inside and see if that helps with the chewing in the event that it's a contact allergy of sorts. My inlaws swear their dog is allergic to "leaf acid" in the fall - they wash his feet off when he comes inside and he stopped chewing. Whatever works!

He's sure that the dog is chewing them short and they're not falling off right?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Di

Thanks for all the info. I will pass it on to him. I have never seen him chewing them but both DS and GF have so I have to go with that. Thxs. again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Maybe Howie just likes his nails short?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Di

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Maybe Howie just likes his nails short?
    LOL- that's a possibility! One things for sure, they don't have to worry about trimming them

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Raven chews her nails too. She doesn't get them really short though. She does it a lot and she does have allergies but I actually think her nail biting is her obsessive compulsive disorder! If you pull her foot away for a while she forgets about it and stops.