Do we or do we not sign up for classes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we or do we not sign up for classes

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo we or do we not sign up for classes

Not sure if I should put this one here or under obedience. Although they are cute, lovable and full of energy, they have a dirty secret. When we go for a walk both dogs just about loose their mind when a lab or another big dog walks by. They bark like mad and no amount of redirection seems to help. today at the vet, Hunter had to be seperated from two dogs due to his high activity level.

Hunter has been to two training lessons: puppy class and beginner training. Chrome has been to 1 training lesson: beginner training. In general they are pretty good dogs and always get along with dogs including all the dogs at their day care.

I am thinking some more training is in order to fix this issue, Now the question is:
    Do I sign up for private lessons or training class. I have a put a lot of money in making sure they are socialized, kept healthy and happy.

I want to walk them with out their choke chains.. Is it asking too much?
    Hunter & Chrome

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

My first reaction is training class; you want the most exposure to more strange dogs and strange people. And I would suggest starting at the beginner level again, - both dogs and then even consider intermediate/novice level.

Two of my past labs, LeRoy ('84-'95) & Auggie ('95-'09) both went to beginner & intermediate obedience and LeRoy even went through advanced. I did that simply because they seemed to love to go to class and it got us out of the house one evening a week and was good for them and for me too. Both dogs, in their respective lifetimes, were a pleasure to take anywhere locally and they were especially good at traveling two or three times a year on weeks long motor home trips. I credit that to their obedience class (plural) experience. They both tended to completely ignore other dogs, especially when they (my dogs) were on leash.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I think private lessons are for dogs who have some real problems. Training classes would be my choice. I think the distraction of other dogs helps with the training.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunterchrome View Post
    ...Hunter has been to two training lessons: puppy class and beginner training. Chrome has been to 1 training lesson: beginner training...
    I'm confused- by one lesson, do you mean one set of lessons (usually 6 or 8 weeks) or one actual lesson? Either way, a lot of people make the mistake of thinking one set of classes will result in a well trained dog, in actuality, it takes at least a couple of sets.

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom View Post
    I think private lessons are for dogs who have some real problems. Training classes would be my choice. I think the distraction of other dogs helps with the training.

Same here. From what you said, it sounds like they simply need more classes and exposure to other dogs.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Training classes would be my vote..I've done both with different dogs and I think my dog that did classes with other dogs got much more out of it. I would suggest private only if you have a real problem dog. Good luck

they went to one set of lessons. I always knew it probably wouldn't be enough training. My boyfriend isn't sold on it but I am. the local animal shelter has a great training class that I plan on signing up the boys for. They love training class and your right it does get us out of the house once a week
    Hunter & Chrome

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others.Training class will give them more exposure to other dogs & people. My three all went to training classes & are used to being around other dogs & people.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

The more exposure, the better I think, in almost all cases.

We were walking the boys at Ellington today, and I commented on how they used to react every time a person or dog passed us on a walk. Today people were flying by on bicycles, skateboards, kids running and screaming...and the boys never lifted an eyebrow. Some of that is due to counter-conditioning (raining treats upon them on the approach of a trigger), but I think a lot of it is just doing it, getting out there, over and over.

Let your instructor know up front you've been having this problem. Don't be shy about bringing it up - that's why you are there! Perhaps they can let you experience the class in a somewhat insulated way the first few times. Instead of bunching up with other dogs, try to remain on the perimeter or in a corner.

Have fun! As someone who has attended our obedience club weekly for six years, I think you really can't have too many classes.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

yup!! agree with others! socialize, socialize

thanks everyone. I now just have to narrow down which class to sign up for in January at the local shelter. I guess I feel a bit like a failure as we have worked so hard to expose them to as much as we can, including socializing them. We even put the $35 a week to have them go to day care weekly. They are great playing with other dogs but they just get so damn excited everytime a dog goes by which is challenging when your walking 130lb (combined weight of them both).
    Hunter & Chrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast