Anyone have bad allergies to dogs but still has them?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have bad allergies to dogs but still has them?

browneyedgirl is offline Member

DefaultAnyone have bad allergies to dogs but still has them?

We've had two labs for 5 years now...

So to keep a long story short, I've had SEVERE problems with my nose and throat, and vomiting for the past 5yrs....its gotten worse recently.

I finally find out now that its due to a severe dog allergy. Part of it can be helped with immunotherapy, but the quality of life that I've been living has been pretty poor because of this allergy (vomiting 6-7x a day for weeks at a time, not being able to breathe properly, constant cough and runny nose, etc).

I never put 2 and 2 together about allergies because I thought of allergies more of sneezing, itching, hives etc...

This is the 4th ENT I've seen, so its not like I need another opinion

My husband is DEVASTATED! I am terribly upset as well...everything has gotten worse with the coughing and vomiting after having our first child last year.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Everyone, including myself, is going to be devastated to re-home the dogs, but I can't continue living with my health like this. I've literally started doing some work at home so if I throw up I'm at home to do it.

Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

My former SIL has severe cat allergies but still copes with 3 cats in the house. Her solution: The cats aren't ever allowed in the bedroom. Cats are brushed regularly, and shed hair is immediately vacuumed up. Other ideas are air filters, lots and lots of brushing (consider taking them to a pro. groomer to get out ALL the undercoat) limiting the dogs to one room in the house and keeping that room spotlessly clean.

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Our 8 year old son, Cameron, has allergies and asthma. When the allergies act up, it makes the asthma act up. He has lived very, very successfully with a dog and two cats. We have done several things: the animals never go in the boys bedroom, we got air purifiers, and keep everything super super clean. Floors, carpets, bed linens etc. We make sure we brush Sadie often and instead of having to give her a bath often, alot of times we will wipe her down with baby wipes when she comes inside. We try not to let Cam love all over Sadie, which is hard because he loves her. But if he does he needs to wash his hands and face when he is done. Sometimes depending on the degree of love he is giving, he will even change his clothes. As long as he takes his over the counter zyrtec everyday, he has done fine. It takes a little work in the begining, but it is definately "doable". Oh and I also moved up from the cheap walmart vacuum to a dyson and run it daily.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

The Main Spouse is very allergic to pet dander. She could care less, sucks up her inhalers, takes pills, and lets the animals fight over lap space. We spend a lot on HEPA filters, and vacuums.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

All I can say is "allergy shots." My son had and has severe allergies and asthma and we had 3 cats and a dog. He was never bothered by having pets and now at 44 has 2 cats and a dog.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

After seeing an allergist and getting shots for years, and now seeing a holistic allergist, I say go find yourself a holistic allergist. Go with an open mind, but I was recently allergic to our new puppy (was getting swollen salivary glands among other things) and after 2 treatments with her, it was gone.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I am allergic to most animals - dogs are the least of my problems. Contrary to what most people think - the fur itself is usually not the big issue - it is the dander and the saliva that causes most people to react.

Your reaction (frequent vomitting) is quite severe. I would think about perhaps kenneling the dogs outdoors (no flames please) or restricting them to a small area of the house. Get them regularly groomed and have them bathed in Allerpet to cut the dander down. Use air filters in every room.

I agree with Karina - try a holistic allergist. You may be able to find relief with an alternative treatment.

I can't be in the same house as a cat for more than a few hours without planning in a trip to the ER. I can't touch a horse without experiencing huge hives all over my body and swollen closed eyes. So - I have no contact at all with them. I got allergy shots for years and years without marked improvement - so I choose to simply control my environment.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I have severe allergies to cats. I have one inside cat. The allergy shots worked wonders for me. I'm not total symptom free, but I can at least be around the cat without eyes swelling shut and throat closing down. I do religiously wash my hands after touching her and wash my hands and face before bed.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

BucksMom is offline Senior Member

I used to suffer terribly from all kinds of allergies. I took a homeopathic allergy relief, i can't remember the name of it right now. But it knocked the problem right out!! Now i only get stuffy in late summer for a few weeks. I had the same symptoms as you, try some of the homeopathic remedies and see if any of them work for you.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I'm allergic to cats and dogs and work around them all day long. What has helped me is getting allergy injections, Singulair, and having some "dog free" areas of my house. No dogs on the couches or on the beds. When I was really bad it used to be no dogs in the bedroom - that was actually really helpful but I'm a sucker and can't keep it up

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast