I see lots of "crate free" threads.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I see lots of "crate free" threads.......

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultI see lots of "crate free" threads.......

and although Alfie has never been in a crate, w used to just shut him in the kitchen. He has had free roam of the house for about 6 months now. He never ventures upstairs and I can even leave him with the bin.....

Thought I'd share!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GlennBaxterFamily is offline Junior Member

I wish I could do that but our house has an "open" floor plan and there is no way to block him into say the kitchen.

Token LOVES toilet paper and would love nothing better than to be locked in the bathroom lol

He's smart enough I'm betting he could figure out how to open drawers, even with safety locks on, and get into all kinds of trouble... I just know it. So for lil' Mr. Token the crate it is!
    Token (rescue baby and salmon fisher extraordinaire)

http://americanpups.blogspot.com/200...o-my-page.html

javasmom is offline Senior Member

We both work all day, so both dogs are crated. Java would probably be ok not being in a crate, but Moka would be a total disaster. She wants to chew everything....rugs, furniture, electrical cords, shoes...I couldn't even block her in the kitchen because she tries to chew the kitchen cabinets the I spent 5 months completely refinishing myself, by hand. They'd be wrecked.
    So, it's crates for my girls too!!
    They love their crates though so it's not a problem.
    Maybe someday they'll be trusted enough to roam the house...just not yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Mine are pretty trustworthy now, though I never thought I'd see the day having 2 babies in the house conjuring up trouble together.

During the working day I let Jasper, my old fella, have the sofa all to himself and I shut the puppies in the kitchen/diner with a baby gate between there and the living room.

They have their crate open in there full of toys and so far they have behaved themselves enough to win my trust......knock on wood!!

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Daisy, at 10 months, has earned her right to have free roam at all times. At my parents house we still crate her, but at my fiance's she's pretty much left to her own devices. *Knock on wood* all she has done is chew a toiler paper roll and the cover to a VHS tape. We don't leave her for more then a couple hours though, but we've never gone too much longer than that anyhow! Kind of interesting how labs can be so different at so many ages, it amazes me!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mine were never crated and I never had any serious problems. I don't trust Judy in the kitchen so whenever I leave, I either lock the kitchen door or remove the food bins.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MNLab View Post
    Daisy, at 10 months, has earned her right to have free roam at all times. At my parents house we still crate her, but at my fiance's she's pretty much left to her own devices. *Knock on wood* all she has done is chew a toiler paper roll and the cover to a VHS tape. We don't leave her for more then a couple hours though, but we've never gone too much longer than that anyhow! Kind of interesting how labs can be so different at so many ages, it amazes me!
    Me too, Alfie did have an adolescence phase but not for wrecking stuff was just counter surfing and bolting when out..im lucky to say the worst thing he has wrecked is a rose bush and a loo roll

lisa is offline Senior Member

My first lab Casey was never crate trained, she never really got into things once she passed that puppy chew stage. So I thought I would not have to crate train Gracie...big mistake. Gracie is into everything, counter surfing, cords, paper , anything she can pick up and walk away with...although she does not chew furniture,thank God. I leave her in the bathroom when I am going to be gone for a while...a completely doggie proof bathroom, no soap, meds or TP within reach. It really is funny how they are so different from one and other.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Mine are different too. Libby was in the crate until almost a year, Willy only a few months.

Scout's Mom is offline Senior Member

I think Scout will need to be in a crate until he is two years old. He loves furniture paper, he counter surfs, broke into my plastic medicine box and chewed it up, but not the pills. I could go on and on. I hope I can trust him someday. He really doesn't like the crate. I leave him in my backyard dog run during the day so he is not confined all the time.
    Debbie (Scout's Mom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast