I have Buddy back...for awhile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have Buddy back...for awhile

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultI have Buddy back...for awhile

Some of you may remember the chocolate lab Buddy that I keep for about 6 months each year. In short, the owner keeps him on the porch and in the winter, it is just too much for Buddy (he is 12, has HD, arthritis, owner said Bud could barely walk, had a cyst-like growth on his left front leg, fatty tumors on his side...well you get the picture). So, for the last two years I have taken Buddy into my house in the winter and provided the old guy with what I am sure is a happier life.

Anyway, two days ago his owner called and said Bud had chewed the leg growth nearly off and was pretty sure he was going to have him put down today. He asked if I would go along with him to the vets. Well, when arrived at the house I could see why Bud was having such a hard time getting around. Good God, his nails were WAY longer than the first year he came to me and indeed he could not walk more than a few steps (see below of what he looked like two winters ago...he was also about 135 pounds in that picture, and lost about 50 pounds at "Karen's Fat Camp For Labs"

The owner had been giving Bud G+C and fish oil, but nothing else for his HD and arthritis, which has gotten pretty bad.

Anyway, I told the owner that if he wanted I would take Bud, trim up his nails, ask the vet about some prescription meds for the HD and arthritis, give him more exercise and see how things looked in a few weeks. The vet agreed that the nails were right now one of the biggest obstacles preventing Bud from getting around and prescribed Previcox. I even told the owner that I would pay for the Previcox and make it a part of the "payments" that I owe him for a loan he gave me a year ago (I already pay for the food). Owner is ummm...frugal.....so the cost of the meds would be a deterrent to him

What a difference in just a few hours! The nails trimmed made a difference almost immediately, and after the Previcox took affect, Bud could actually walk down to the far end of my pasture (at a pretty slow pace, but still)!

I hope I did the right thing in giving Bud another chance, and I am not prolonging anything unpleasant. I am sure the owner was prepared to say goodbye, and his wife (who does not live with him), said goodbye to Bud yesterday. But to me, Bud was not ready to go. He eats well, tries to get around and does not complain about anything.

This is what Bud looked like at the end of the first winter he stayed with me.

He looks pretty bad right now (needs a grooming really bad), but I hope I can make enough of a difference in the next few weeks (when the owner and vet will re-evaluate) that I can keep Bud for the rest of the winter. I am sure this will be his last though....sigh...

This was Bud this spring, just before I gave him back to his owner.

Last edited by Belles mom; 11-18-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

Oh Karen, bless you for taking Buddy in again and getting him some help. Your post just broke my heart. What a love Buddy is - I hope he gets better and can spend the rest of the winter with you too. Keep us posted and we will be sending up special prayers for Buddy. Give him a nuzzle and belly rub for us.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Oh my he has gotten into my heart already, I can only imagine how you feel about him. Thanks for giving him another winter!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I love him already...I can only imagine how much you love him. God Bless you for taking such good care of him and showing him so much love....you will be blessed 1000x over for showing and giving so much love. I think you made the right decision keep us posted on how he is doing.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Karen I just got all teary reading your post. Thank you for helping Buddy

joflake is offline Senior Member

Thanks for helping that poor old guy. I don't know your situation, but I don't think I'd give him back at all. He's obviously not taken care of properly.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have a soft spot in my heart for seniors. Thanks for taking him in again for the winter. Poor old fella. Sounds like he does so much better when he is with you.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Poor guy. I am sure that he has lived for the winter and his time with you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

you're unbelievable
    can you keep him?

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

awww karen; i'm so glad buddy has you!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast