Bottle fed pups vs. nursing mom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottle fed pups vs. nursing mom

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBottle fed pups vs. nursing mom

So I get a call from my local rescue group that wants me to foster a litter of 5 pups. They were turned over to the rescue because their hunting trip was way more important than the newborn litter...and how dare their prized hunting dog get pregnant anyway.

Puppies have been bottle fed from one week to 5 weeks and are now on watered down dog food. They need a new foster home because the one they were at had another litter that has parvo. I went to go see them and noticed three things right away.
    1. puppies coats are very dry...now I am not sure if it a breed thing because they are half cheasapeke.
    2. Pups are very bloated but have no build up of fat. I can easily feel ribs but they have enormous tummies. When let roam they went immediately to a food dish that was out for the big dogs.
    3. Two of the puppies had bowel movements when I was present and they were loose but not diahhria (sp?)

IMO they did not look healthy....Rescue wants to adopt puppies for a good fee to help with some of the cost they incurred. However, I am not sure I would feel comfortable telling a family that they are healthy and ready to be loved. And it has me wondering what are the differences between bottle fed puppies and nursed. Will these pups be prone to health issues due to the bottle feeding? Can I put them on a high calorie food and get them looking better? Also are they more likely to get dog disease like parvo and distemper and will this affect my dog crew?

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Have these puppies been wormed? Big bloated belly screams worms to me.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

I am not sure...I will ask. They haven't seen a vet b/c rescue people think they have so much experience and want to save $. *shakes head* Before they come here I will take them in to my vet for a quick look over.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Would worms cause them to not gain healthy weight?

- Anonymous

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Have these puppies been wormed? Big bloated belly screams worms to me.
    My thought exactly. And yes, if the worms will rob the pups of their nutrition, and not only that, can cause much more major issues like seizures and gastric issues later.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jen124 is offline Senior Member

Yes ~ worms would prevent weight gain and cause that big bloated belly. Pups would also be hungry all the time! If exposed to parvo they could come down with it as it is very contagious and I would be very hesitant to bring them around my dogs or adopt them out right away. That said, it is a wonderful thing you are doing by foster them!!!! Good luck!!!!!
    Jen and the crew!

joflake is offline Senior Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but along with the bloatedness, haven't they already been exposed to the parvo? Not sure how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but along with the bloatedness, haven't they already been exposed to the parvo? Not sure how that works.
    I asked because this was a huge concern of mine...I don't like fostering puppies for this reason as I heard parvo lives in the ground for years after. Anyway, they told me the pups were not exposed to each other. Litters were kept seperate. It has been a week since parvo was detected in the other litter and one pup died and other pup is doing good now. How long does exposure lead to full parvo? Maybe I should phone my vet before I say yes. My other option was going to the home they are now at and housesitting for the day but they will get no socialization at that home.

- Anonymous

jen124 is offline Senior Member

It takes 7-10 days after exposure for symptoms to show up and for the pups to test positive for parvo. It is not airborne but is easily transmitted even if pups are kept separate if the people caring for them are not SUPER cautious. It can be carried from area to area on shoes etc. That's why it spreads so easily through kennel situations. I would be most worried about the parvo but I also think there might be a worm situation going on too. It sounds like these pups need a thorough vet check.
    Jen and the crew!

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Besides the fact that it sounds like a classic presentation of a heavy wormload... greater than 99% of puppies carry at least one species of worm. Worm them.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast