A dog park <NOT> story
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dog park <NOT> story

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultA dog park <NOT> story

As we pull into the parking lot, HK usually will whine a little in her excitement to get out. Although the rules require a leash in the parking lot, I never use one going in. HK runs direct to the gate and waits for me, with a little bounce in her body if I am too slow.

Well, that didn't happen today. I hadn't noticed anything strange driving into the parking lot, nor while I was parking. But she saw something. As I was putting the car in park, and turning off the engine, she starts growling. I look out the window to the park, and see nothing that should cause it. I figure she is just over excited to be there, but she is still growling. I should have figured this out and expected the next event. As soon as the door cracked open, she usually waits until I am out and tell her its okay to come out, she comes across my lap, pushes the door open, and takes off.

Not to the park gate, but back behind me across the parking lot, to a large open and wooded area. That is when I see the white tail bouncing in the air and moving away as fast as it could. I know better than to call her back from this kind of chase.

About 25 minutes later she comes trotting back, thinking it was time to go into the park. I don't think so Missy. Get in the car. You blew the park off today, and I am not sure we will come tomorrow. Grrrrrr!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Bad Dad! That will teach you to use a leash at all times, won't it? It will, won't it?!?!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Hmmm ED I seem to remember someone who freq. says something like - Bad Dad or Bad HK, not those words and usually for good reason towards another one of us who didn't use the best judgment with our pup's. That was you wasn't it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Oh geez! That would tick me right off! And, I would be worried too. Good thing she came back safe and sound!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Let there be no doubt that this is the result of a bad Dad, but that doesn't mean I can't get mad at her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

That's a scary one. You know you have no chance getting her to stop and just have to wait for her to come back and hope nothing bad happens. Glad it worked out OK. I'm sure she got plenty of exercise in those 25 minutes.

Bella

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Let there be no doubt that this is the result of a bad Dad, but that doesn't mean I can't get mad at her.
    I agree I would of been mad as heck!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Ruh Rho! It is firearm deer season here now, I would have been real worried if one of my kids did that.....dogs have been shot for lesser reasons than chasing wildlife. Leash time!!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

joflake is offline Senior Member

Ed, I too would be mad at her for coming across my lap and jumping out the door, leash or no leash. If my dogs did that, I'd be mad too. When I am at a place that I have to put the leash on, I always get out first, tell them to stay, and snap the leash on then take them out. So, I would not blame you for not having that leash on yet. But I think we have to learn to pay attention, when our dogs are acting out of the norm. She was growling for a reason, next time you will know. I am not berating you, we all make mistakes. I'm glad she came back to you unharmed.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

"I don't think so Missy!" lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast