like potato chips, so they tell me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: like potato chips, so they tell me

uxhamby is offline Junior Member

Defaultlike potato chips, so they tell me

Hi,

I am thinking of fostering/adopting another lab, to get one more out of the local animal shelter system.

My biggest worry is upsetting Marlie and the relationship that has evolved with her. I truly don't think we could ask for a better dog. I don't think training is the word to describe how this came to be, it has occurred so naturally. (perhaps that's because I was the one being trained?)

I understand that these dogs are smart, resourceful and resilient but none the less, I'd like to hear how other folks have prepared for and executed the addition of a additional labs/dogs into the home and routine of dog number one?

Thanks,

Brian H.
    Uxbridge Ontario Canada

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We have 5 and never had a problem introducing the next one to the pack. Granted ours were all purchased as pups, except the last 2 that were born in the house and stayed, but dogs are pack animals. As long as the home environment is one of YOU being the leader, and your current dog is well trained and socialized, I am sure she'll welcome a new dog. Even our Maddy who doesn't really like other dogs was OK with us adding more dogs.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I added my 2nd dog 4 months ago. It took a month or two of adjusting for both, but they are best buds now! They play together, eat together and sleep together. Dio had to adjust from being a singleton to a pair, but I honestly think that he prefers this. He seems much happier now that he has someone who always wants to play!

Don't worry about adding another one to your pack. They will adjust and find a new routine or way of doing things.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I find that no matter how much I think I know my dogs, I always learn something more about them by adding another.

Dogs are very flexible.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Ooohhh.... i can't wait to add another dog to my pack someday, and we only just got one in July!

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

we have added 3 since we've had Abby. Got her as a pup with a golden and a cocker, since then the golden and cocker have both died, got Max and she bonded with him in approximately 24 hours, bonded as in inseperable, got Toby as a 7 wk old pup and they had no problems, Max died and about a month later we got Dodge as a 6 y/o they had approximately 2 days of humping/dominance issues and then have gotten along as if they had been together forever

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

My Nellie is about 11 and I've had her 10 years. I added Bailey who is about 8-9 a year ago because his previous owner got tired of him and was going to put him down. I was so upset I took him in from the rescuer. They got along from day one though it took a little adjustment. Nellie is alpha and after asserting her seniority everything has worked very well. I think it has been good for both of them.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mine never needed an adjustment period. When I brought puppy Judy home, Mitzi immediately mothered her. When I brought home 9 month old Duke, M&J both immediately accepted him. When I brought home puppy Bruno, Judy immediately claimed and mothered him. It was so sweet how Judy would not let Duke near puppy Bruno until Bruno was bigger. I guess she thought Duke was too rough to play with him.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We got Buddy in May, he was about 6/7 months old. We got Champ that October, he had just turned two. The two boys got along from the first minute, and Buddy became more affectionate and loving after Champ joined the family.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

lisa is offline Senior Member

We added Lola when Gracie was about a year old...they are the best of friends. Gracie always loved other dogs. I was actually thinking about fostering or maybe taking in a rescue and then Lola began having hip and knee issues, so that plan is on hold for the time being.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast