Rhys vent. AKA The new kitties next door
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhys vent. AKA The new kitties next door

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

DefaultRhys vent. AKA The new kitties next door

So there's this cat. We'll call her wild and crazy...and promiscuous. She gets around. A lot. This is her 4th litter, since she's taken up residence in the hood about 2 years ago.

My neighbors feed her.

She's got a litter of 6 right now, all gorgeous kitties one and all. Very wild.

In the middle of the night, they hang out on my front porch and Rhys announces that they're here with great gusto. I've just about had it.

I've called animal control. I've talked the the neighbor (a 75 year old woman who thinks she's helping).

I think I'm going to lure her up on my porch and have her spayed in a few weeks. But what the heck is to be done about the kittens? Its soon going to be cold.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Poor kitties. I know the little old lady thinks she is helping too but she isn't. What did AC say?

They won't take the kittens unless they're 8 weeks old, and only if the 'owner' relinquishes them. Momma kitty wears a collar. So that's their owner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Is the 75yr old lady the owner of the momma cat? If so I would go talk to her again.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I would try to trap them all. Spay the Mom, talk to the neighbor and if she wants her back, give her back, but take the kitties to be adopted. Otherwise, all these wild kittens are going to grow up and have more wild kittens. If I had to I'd keep the kittens until they're eight weeks then give them to AC.

I have no way of knowing how old the cats are.

Thing is, Rhys is really good with cats. But its driving him crazy to see them running all over.

I think I'm going to try to catch them and bring them in. Its been really cold outside.
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    I would try to trap them all. Spay the Mom, talk to the neighbor and if she wants her back, give her back, but take the kitties to be adopted. Otherwise, all these wild kittens are going to grow up and have more wild kittens. If I had to I'd keep the kittens until they're eight weeks then give them to AC.
    This.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Can you talk to your local SPCA? Does the cat actually belong to anyone or is this lady just feeding it?

lisa is offline Senior Member

We have a big feral cat problem in my neighborhood...same as you, the lady next door feeds them. At one point I counted over 15 cats and kittens. It breaks my heart because most are sick and the winter is coming and it gets so cold. She has made an effort to trap and spay them but the second she lets up...one gets pregnant and here we go again. Of course they live next door but they use my flower beds as their litter box. I have trapped a few myself..2 were small enough that they were put up for adoption and one was very sick and had to put down. AC will pick them up if you report a stray, but I can not trap them and bring them to the shelter. I had a fight with one of the AC officers. I called to report I had a really sick kitten, I waited hours for her to come and get the poor thing...I had the kitten on my porch in a carrier with a blanket, food and water. As I watched out my window AC officer arrived and let the kitty out of the carrier and walked away. When I ran out to get her attention, she told me "I can' take that kitty, she's sick..I'll have to put her down." Oh so she was going to leave her out in the cold to die...yeah that's more humane??? After arguing with her for 10 min she finally grabbed the kitty and said "fine I'll take it." I breaks my heart to see an animal be put down...but she was so weak and sick...coughing, sneezing, puss in her eyes and loaded with fleas...putting her down was the humane thing to do.

My advice would be try to trap or call animal control and see if they will come out and trap them. Sometimes their our organizations that deal primarily with feral cats...Project spay is one around here. Good luck.

I'm worried right now about catching them, because I don't have a good head count on how many there are. I can start catching kittens, but I won't snatch mom up just yet, just in case. This is my goal for tomorrow.
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast