Glucosamine question

Thread: Glucosamine question

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultGlucosamine question

I know this has been covered quite a bit, but I just need some clarification.
    I want to start Saba on Glucosamine this week.
    The pic below is what I have at home - it's from Costco, Webber Naturals Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate - 900mg capsules - extra strength.
    Is this good or perhaps there is another brand anyone can recommend? Hopefully something I can get in Ontario.
    Also, how much - 1 capsule a day or more? How many mgs? And do you open the capsules and sprinkle it on his breakfast or give it whole & separately? Iím wondering whatís best.
    Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited by Neska74; 11-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

What's the mg of Glucosamine and of the Chondrotin? It said 900mg...its that total for each pill or total for each daily recommended dosage? And if the later, how many pills required for the total daily recommended dosage?

I used to buy the Kirkland brand of G/C and you needed 3 pills to equal the 1500mg they talked about on the label.

If your dog doesn't have a problem and it's just a supplement, it's probably fine. And typically we just tossed the pills in the bowls and they got eaten with the kibble.

We use a different product now since the 2 that get are seniors...1 with an elbow issue and the other 1 had TPLO and some arthritis.

As supplement only. Saba is 5 years old.
    The capsules are 900mg each. Each capsule has 500mg of Glucosamine Sulfate and 400 mg of Chondroitin Sulfate. For humans it says 3 capsules per day. That's what my mom takes and it helps her (she has bad arthritis).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java takes 1500 mg Gluc/1200 mg Chondroitin every day. She weighs 65 lbs.
    So, based on your info, I would say that you would give her 3 pills a day to get the full 1500 mg/1200 mg dose.

The ratio of Gluc/Chond to body weight for dogs is approx. 25 mg Gluc/1 lb of body weight and 20 mg Chond/1 lb of body weight.

Samson is offline Senior Member

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

that's what JJ's ortho surgeon told me, colin. it's actually the omega's that they benefit from. even so, i have JJ on hylasport which has everything including the kitchen sink in it and he also gets fish oil.
    if your dog already has bad arthritis; i'd look into adequan injections or acupuncture.

No, he doesn't, he had xrays done last week and his hips are great and no sign of arthritis. But he has a bit of an inflamation in the knee which he was just treated for, other than that his bones are good. But I am a "glucosamine believer" so I want to start him on it. thanks!

kelli is offline Senior Member

Here's what use for koda

The liquid can be absorbed better and you can do half in their food in the morning and half at night. Koder does great on it. She had too much arthritis for the surgeon to get all of it, but you'd never know.

I get that at Costco

kelli, tucker and koda

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe View Post
    that's what JJ's ortho surgeon told me, colin. it's actually the omega's that they benefit from. even so, i have JJ on hylasport which has everything including the kitchen sink in it and he also gets fish oil.
    if your dog already has bad arthritis; i'd look into adequan injections or acupuncture.
    I read that on here before and started giving that to my dogs. My husband says he notices a marked difference in Libby's overall activity and playfulness. I'm going to keep giving that.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

i use the supplement below for Harvey and have done since he has his bilateral ED op back in March. To be honest, i dont know if it does any good, but i can say he hasn't needed pain meds since his op and there is no signs of pain etc. and his mobility and activity levels are excellent, so i assume this is making a difference. He has 4mg a day, sprinkled on his food. He also gets a glucosamine stick every night which gives him another 500mg of gluc and Chondroitin.

Canine Joint Right Essential Glucosamine for Dogs/Dog Joint Supplement/Canine Joint Right [] - £23.49 : Scientific Nutritional Products, Canine and Equine supplements direct from the manufacturer