Play time Puzzles

Thread: Play time Puzzles

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlay time Puzzles

Our friend came over yesterday with her German shepherd dog cross "Dawson" who is a few months older than our boys. The dogs have played with Dawson before and there was never an issue. My friend is a very nervous dog owner and she is absolutely crazy paranoid about who her dog can play with. So both Hunter and Chrome were inside when Dawson appeared in the yard with my friend. the boys freaked out in excitement. We tried to calm them the best we could. We let Chrome out first to meet Dawson. all the fur went up on the back of Chrome's neck and he was growling at Dawson. Dawson didn't seemed bothered but my friend totally freaked out. We seperated before things got heated. We let Hunter out instead and they did just fine. Chrome has been well socialized, been to the dog park and even goes to day care. He has never had any issues. Am I doing something wrong? I know he was partially feeding off my friends energy. Chrome is 14 months and has been altered. Any suggestions?
    Hunter & Chrome

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Maybe seeing the other dog appear in their yard when they weren't expecting it set them off? Sort of a protective 'This is MY yard, why's he here?' type of thing. Does Dawson normally come into the house first, before they go into the yard?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmmm, maybe he sensed him as an intruder since he just showed up in the backyard??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Could be an "intruder" alert thing. Dio doesn't care who shows up, but Lita is very protective of the house and freaks if a dog (and our friend) comes in without us greeting it at the door. If it just pops up in the house or the yard, she has a hard time calming down. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I would just have your friend greet you properly at the door maybe? It might help.

We'll see next Sunday how it goes, eh?
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Normally she comes in through the house with her dog but she didn't want her dog to play with both ours at the same time. Ofcourse if one of my dogs look at Dawson the wrong way she freaks out. Hunter gets excited about people coming to the door and to the yard but not protective. Chrome is very protective, I have never seen him quite that bad. Dio's mama: We are definitly on for next Sunday, I look forward to finally meeting you and seeing the look on Hunter and Chrome's faces when they see a bunch of labs. Chrome plays nice normally I swear
    Hunter & Chrome

I can't help but worry about chrome's crazy bursts. We have worked at hard at keeping them socialized, funny to think when we first got Chrome at 5 months old, he would run for me at the dog park scared lol not so scared anymore
    Hunter & Chrome

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Do you have a trainer that you can call? If not, try Monika at For Paws in Leduc. She is AMAZING! She has been working with us with Lita for the past 3 months and she (Lita) has improved by leaps and bounds. She's on my facebook and I have her cell number if ever I have an emergency question that can't wait. She also runs the dog daycare that my pups go to.

She might be able to give you tips or ideas.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)