Chewing the deck
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewing the deck

Sarah11287 is offline Junior Member

DefaultChewing the deck

Well we had some nice weather today. So I decided to let to puppy play in the backyard for a little while. I kept checking on her and making sure she still had water. Then I noticed pieces of wood all over the deck. She had started chewing on the deck. So I sprayed some bitter apple all over it and then set her water bowl on top of the area. I looked back outside and she had moved the water bowl and started chewing again! I gave her lots of chew toys to play with so that wasn't the problem. Any ideas on how to get her to stop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

supervise and redirect! unsupervised puppies will keep busy as they see fit
    It is not at all uncommon for a lab puppy (or lab of any age) to get into trouble when unsupervised. And at 16 weeks - it is to be expected really.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Normally when I can't be with her she goes in the crate. But it was so nice outside I wanted her to get some fresh air and be able to run around. I did redirect when I caught her doing it. She went and chewed her toy instead. But then a few minutes later she went back to it. I was hoping the bitter apple would stop her but she didn't seem to mind it at all.

I do expect her to get in some trouble when I'm not watching. I have already lost one shoe!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

and you learned a lesson today

it was a nice idea to let her get some fresh air but next time she needs to be supervised
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

definitly supervision is the key. Our deck got chewed on really well when hunter was young, him and his brother even chewed through the cable line a couple times
    Hunter & Chrome

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Only thing to do is watch.
    Kassa loved to chew anything wooden. We couldn't leave her for one moment.

This is the gate we came home to one day when she was a pup and she was running around the yard.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

bett is offline Senior Member

she's still in the stage where she cant be trusted alone, on the deck.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

[email protected] picture Chris! "What? I didn't do this?"

Supervision is definitely the key. Angus had to be supervised one hundred percent of the time he was out of the crate. Period. Exhausting? Yes. But he could seriously not be trusted for even a few seconds by himself. Mom likes to say that he had to be constantly protected from himself.

I remember his first Christmas - he would have been about four months old. We put him out on the deck while we opened presents with my family. It was a nice day and I really hated for him to spend so much time in the crate. There were big windows looking out on the deck and we could see almost every square inch of it, so what could happen, right? *Almost* every square inch was not enough. He found the square foot that was out of sight and chewed a landscape lighting cord in two. OMG! That was the last time he was unsupervised until he was about three.

So I guess supervision is the trick. I just feel bad putting her in the crate so much. She hasn't found any cords so far. But the deck looks pretty bad. If she was left another 10 minutes there would be a hole through the deck! I will try and post a picture soon.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I remember feeling so awful about how much time Angus spent in the crate. But I am sure it bothered me much more than it did him. He really left me no choice! It was so tiring running after him, from room to room, as he explored everything within mouthing distance unless we were actively training. That first year I didn't watch ANY television. I'm talking zero. LOL Too busy hovering over him when he was out of the crate. Just remember, this too shall pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast