What does DNA # mean on pedigree chart?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does DNA # mean on pedigree chart?

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat does DNA # mean on pedigree chart?

We're first-time lab owners and we bought our Duke from a local newspaper classified ad. The owners of the sire and dam own both, but I realize now that they're backyard breeders who just happen to hunt. We just didn't know any better. We love Duke even though he's just pet quality. If we had to do it over again, we'd do it differently. Hindsight's always 20/20. We were just ignorant.
    I was just curious what the "DNA#" on the certified pedigree means.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I believe it means that the dog has had a cheek swab taken and his or her DNA is on file with the AKC. This information can be used to verify parentage. The AKC web site has a DNA profile program page.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Yup, DNA is required by AKC of any stud dog that sires, I believe more than two litters per year or six in his lifetime, or is from a foreign country. I don't quite remember the exact rule.

Found it! This is from the AKC

American Kennel Club - DNA Certification Program
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bookwormbiker View Post
    We're first-time lab owners and we bought our Duke from a local newspaper classified ad. The owners of the sire and dam own both, but I realize now that they're backyard breeders who just happen to hunt. We just didn't know any better. We love Duke even though he's just pet quality. If we had to do it over again, we'd do it differently. Hindsight's always 20/20. We were just ignorant.
    JUST pet quality ! JUST ?

Whatever do you mean.

That is a positive attribute.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

Whatever do you mean.

Agreed. Unless you were hoping to breed or show?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We all have that dog where we would have done it differently. But my BYB dog is actually the smartest of all my dogs and if it weren't for her, would never have gotten into competing with my dogs.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I totally understand where you are coming from. Mya is a BYB lab to and so was Nadja my chocolate. That doesn't make us love them any less and since becoming a member here, I will do things differently next time to. Just LOVE and ENJOY the heck out of them while they are with you.....

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

Whatever do you mean.

There is a difference between pet quality (which responsible breeders produce all the time) and pet bred - usually associated with BYB breeders. My very nice responsibly bred black Lab has fully cleared Bench Champions for both parents and comes from a reputable show breeder. He is pet quality. My chocolate Lab rescue is likely pet bred.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bookwormbiker View Post
    ^^^
    my first lab Casey was pet breed from a BYB..like you, I just didn't know any better. Casey was a healthy, happy dog, who went on to live to be almost 14 years old. Yes, she had "papers" and way back then, I thought that was important. Now I realize her parents had no clearances what so ever. Thank God she was a healthy dog. I loved her with my whole heart and soul...and miss her dearly till this day.

Gracie and Lola are pet quality dogs....both their sire and dam...and so on down their line have clearances. I am sure your pup is beautiful no matter where he came from. I have learned alot about breeders and breeding here and continue to learn something new almost ever time I log on and read all the posts. So ask as many questions as possible and good luck with Duke...post some pics of your handsome guy

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

When I got Ranger from a BYB I didn't know much. Although I think she wasn't out for the money, just liked dogs. I've learned a lot here and would do it differently today. Regardless, I couldn't love Ranger any more if he had a thousand titles before/after his name. Just love your Duke.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast