Dear Lab Hater...(it would be ideal for you and all of your identities to read this)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Lab Hater...(it would be ideal for you and all of your identities to read this)

Dani is offline Senior Member

ExclamationDear Lab Hater...(it would be ideal for you and all of your identities to read this)

I hope your advisor, university and IRB read this post.

In your "guise" of trying to perform research, perhaps you overlooked some basic principles of the proper protocol and methodology of conducting PROPER research on human subjects. There are ETHICAL guidelines and criteria that one MUST meet and be approved by your university IRB PRIOR to you conducting any sort of research. Now, if you are a graduate student like you say you are, then you SHOULD have already gone through some sort of training like the CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) program, or similar for your institution. If you did, then you must of failed the Internet Research Module....or ignored it completely.

In the spirit of you starting several threads, I just couldn't let this one pass, because you are clearly giving all graduate/doctoral students (myself being one of them) a bad name.

So...let me remind you of your ethical duties in terms of conducting online research.

1.) You still need to garner CONSENT from participating subjects...which would INCLUDE information that they would need to decide wether or not to take part in a study. Of course, your IRB could have waived this if there was a low risk to participants...

HOWEVER, you still need to give people the OPTION of not participating, or allowing to withdraw from your study.

2.) There are UNDERAGE people who are part of this community. Again, if you are indeed a graduate student, then you would KNOW there is a whole MYRIAD of issues with having underage participants...and they usually can not grant consent...which opens up a whole laundry list of issues.

3.) Most of the guidelines of Internet Research allow for a researcher to join communities in an OBSERVATIONAL capacity...the minute you joined, and posted a conversation (and then fought back) ended your ability to conduct unbiased and untainted research. If you want to know why people choose labradors, joining and participating as a lab person would have provided you more than enough information as to why we love this breed...without insulting or compromising our right to privacy.

Now, having said all of that, I really hope that if you are indeed, conducting research, you get your poop in a group and do it correctly and ethically. Don't treat potential subjects like morons and you now are obligated to explain to us "subjects" what the benefit to you, as a researcher, and to us, as potential participants, would get out of your research. Also, what is the purpose and thought that you are trying to prove through research?

So please. Buy a clue and apologize to the great people of this forum for your lack of class, tact, and understanding of proper research.

Thank you.
    Dani...who is far from being a Lab Hater....just one who has low tolerance for Ass Hats.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Oh My ^^^^ very GOOD!!!!!!!

dweck is offline Senior Member

Totally awesome, Dani. I was absolutely enraged by the dupe, which is probably more a reflection of where I am right now than his jerkwadded-ness, but still.

Anyway, wtg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    So please. Buy a clue and apologize to the great people of this forum for your lack of class, tact, and understanding of proper research.
    And while I admire your optimism, I'm betting we have exactly a -0 chance of this happening.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Sic em Dani!

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Thank you, Dani!

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

Very well said!
    Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Thank you Dani!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'll say it again in this thread: GREAT post, Dani. Great post. Thanks!

Seamus and Flynn

justine is offline Senior Member

Great post, Dani. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast