Friend's Lab: Carcinoma in mouth

Thread: Friend's Lab: Carcinoma in mouth

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultFriend's Lab: Carcinoma in mouth

I have a friend here at work who has a Lab, Raven. Eight years old and in good health.

A while back they noticed a growth on her bottom jaw, inside her mouth. They had it removed surgically, and this weekend the results were in: Carcinoma. That's all I know.

My friend did say that after Raven's surgery two weeks ago, they noticed late last week that it had already begun to grow back.

I'm feeling very blue for her. My feeling is that this is not good news.

Her vet has recommended she go either to UT or to a local oncologist through BluePearl Veterinary Partners. Friend doesn't think she can swing 3x weekly visits to UT for a month (financially or timewise), and she's wondering how much it would prolong Raven's life if she did. She doesn't want to put her through anything too traumatic - she's at that place where you have to weigh what your outcome will be against how invasive the treatment will be.

I'm at a loss for what to tell her.

Has anyone here experienced this type of cancer with a dog? What did you do? What would you do differently?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

My boss's chocolate lab had this. She had surgery to have it removed. So far, I don't think it's grown back. She had a good portion of her lower jaw removed so she has a silly smile. I think she is nine years old now. I will ask him the particulars and see if he can tell me anything. She was treated here: Animal Hospitals - State College, PA - Metzger Animal Hospital It's one of the top in the country, I believe.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Sorry, it was not carcinoma that Abby had. It was epulis, which is a non-cancerous tumor. Hope your friend's dog is okay.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I haven't experienced it personally but I have seen it in a number of dogs. Do you know if it's squamous cell carcinoma Connie? It's the second most common oral tumor in dogs (the first is melanoma). Honestly what I would do if it was my dog would depend on a lot of things. If it was at all resectable surgically and the dog was otherwise healthy and happy I would give that a shot and see how my dog tolerated the follow-up radiation therapy. If it wasn't in a surgical location or if the dog was generally not happy anymore I'd ask to start piroxicam and maybe do some palliative radiation treatments too? It depends on so many factors. It's a very hard decision to make.

I'm so sorry for your friend I would definitely recommend she at least go for a consult with the oncologist, because that's where she'll get the best information on mean survival times with different treatment options. Also, you never know what sort of study is going on - Penn had one for a while that was a fantastic deal for radiation therapy. There might also be newer treatment options for palliation that could prolong her comfortable time at home without the 3x weekly trips to UT. That's one thing I didn't realize before I took Oncology, a lot of the treatment is aimed at keeping them comfortable and in good spirits for as long as possible - there are, sadly, not many canine cancers that we cure. Good thoughts for your friend and her pup.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Thanks for the replies. I did tell her that she should talk to the oncologist first and see what she has to say - that it would probably become clearer when she did. She just has so many things rolling around in her head right now, it's overwhelming.

She didn't say what kind of carcinoma - I'll ask her tomorrow. Poor thing, just sitting there talking her eyes kept filling up with tears. It breaks my heart. I hope there is something that can be done.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your friend. Such a hard choice to make.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

So sorry for your friend. Have no experience so can only offer good thoughts and prayers her and Raven. So sad.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry Connie. Kassa had Osteosarcoma in the jaw.
    It is overwhelming, so think she needs to take a deep breath, and see what the oncologists says. Write down a list of things she wants to know and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    It seems there are a couple of different cancers and some better prognosis than others.
    There are several treatment options from just keeping the dog comfortable to chemo or radiation or removing parts of the jaw, or combination. It is common for the growths to come back. Kassa had nodules and they said they cut them off.

Good thoughts to her pup.

Click on the BCD in my siggy and it will take you there and perhaps give you some more info on treatments and other info. Iknow it is bone cancer, but it might help.
    Last edited by kassabella; 11-09-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

No experience or advise but lots of prayers.....
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

Oh Chris - I completely forgot that this was what Kassa had. Thank you for reminding me and the resource - I'll pass it along.