Best time to get a 2nd pup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time to get a 2nd pup?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionBest time to get a 2nd pup?

I want to get a 2nd pup eventually but not sure of the right time that will work well for Diesel.

What is a good age for Diesel to be at for him to accept a new puppy in his house? I will most likely get another Lab, but any other suggestions of other compatible breeds?

It won't be for awhile as I am going back to school January to May & plan to move into a house next summer because I want Diesel to have his own backyard, as well there is no way I would get a 2nd dog without having a backyard for the two of them.

Also I want to spend a lot more time researching breeders this time around... don't want to acquire a 2nd pup that comes with a collar in its stomach!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

My preference is 4-5 years...

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I would think 4-5 also. Nadja was 8 or 9 when I got Mya - it worked but I always thought I should have done it just a bit sooner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I got Harper (Golden) when Clancey (Lab) was 2 years old. It has kept them both young

Jenica is offline Senior Member

I would agree with the 4-5 years. Jenica was 4.5 years old when we got Diesel. She immediately slid back in her training for a bit. So it was good that she had a decent foundation so we could get her back quickly. It also made training Diesel so much easier, as he could pick things up from Jenica.

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Sedona turned 2 in November, we got Keegan in February at 8 weeks. I wanted Sedona to be young enough to enjoy playing with Keegan. It has worked out really well. Keegan, of course, is about bitey-face 24/7 and sometimes Sedona gets a little tired of it. That being said, Sedona behaves like a puppy herself and butt tucks and plays and plays. She weighed about 95 pounds when we got Keegan and lost ten pounds pretty quickly and has lost more weight from the constant activity. I told our vet she would definitely lose weight when Keegan came along. Keegan is very, very active and loves to run all the time and jump so she has definitely motivated Sedona to get moving I love watching them. Keegan absolutely adores Sedona and watches everything she does. It has been quite fascinating.

Isn't it great to have a sister

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sedona View Post
    Sedona turned 2 in November, we got Keegan in February at 8 weeks. I wanted Sedona to be young enough to enjoy playing with Keegan. It has worked out really well. Keegan, of course, is about bitey-face 24/7 and sometimes Sedona gets a little tired of it. That being said, Sedona behaves like a puppy herself and butt tucks and plays and plays. She weighed about 95 pounds when we got Keegan and lost ten pounds pretty quickly and has lost more weight from the constant activity. I told our vet she would definitely lose weight when Keegan came along. Keegan is very, very active and loves to run all the time and jump so she has definitely motivated Sedona to get moving I love watching them. Keegan absolutely adores Sedona and watches everything she does. It has been quite fascinating.

Seriously. Way too cute. Your signature says it all. SOOOO darn adorable.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I want to get a 2nd pup eventually but not sure of the right time that will work well for Diesel.

What is a good age for Diesel to be at for him to accept a new puppy in his house? I will most likely get another Lab, but any other suggestions of other compatible breeds?

It won't be for awhile as I am going back to school January to May & plan to move into a house next summer because I want Diesel to have his own backyard, as well there is no way I would get a 2nd dog without having a backyard for the two of them.

Also I want to spend a lot more time researching breeders this time around... don't want to acquire a 2nd pup that comes with a collar in its stomach!!
    Really?? a collar in his stomach!!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I think 3-4 is the ideal age for another pup. For my family anyway.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

alot of it depends on you really. Ideally you want the first pup out of adolescence and trained so they can teach the puppy positive behavior

Personally I want a gap in age to avoid having two seniors (so a good 3-5 years). So that the "older" dog is still young enough to play, and well trained. But I fear having two seniors at once. This means no partner for long walks. Older labs can need help moving around the house (especially if there are stairs) and it can become costly in meds for arthritis and such (my dad was paying about $100/mt for the last few years for our family dog a lab/golden mix who nearly made it to his 17th birthday).

As for breed - a lab will get along with any other dog or anybreed, it is more a bout personality match.

You can always try fostering as well. I find having two dogs and being alone can be rough at times (espeically as I like doing things like agility or rally with my dogs, so when I get back from a class the other needs exercise) . So for me fostering gives me time with two dogs but then a break when needed
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast