Some advice and prayers for Tina, Please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some advice and prayers for Tina, Please

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultSome advice and prayers for Tina, Please

Tina is a black lab female about sixteen and a half years old. She has done pretty well for an old lady. Until last year she was very spry. Several vertebrae have fused together affecting her control of her back legs. Deramaxx was too harsh so she is on Tramadal 2x daily. Reggie's Mom has loaned her Reggie's harness which makes it much easier to assist Tina up and down stairs or out of trouble. At her last wellness visit it was determined she was in the beginning stages of age onset renal disease Two weeks ago she had a UTI. Tina loves ice cubes and dog cookies but this week she is not interested in them.

First came the diarrhea. Two days worth. The second day when i got to the front door i could see Jack dancing in the archway eight feet from the door. Usually he is at the door. When I opened the door i could see why. The entire floor was covered in Tina mud amid Lake Tina. Jack stood on his toe nails and gingerly walked to the front door to go out. Tina visited the vet and we got some meds but her appetite has continued to dwindle. Friday she stopped eating. Saturday she stopped eating her peanut butter crackers. She turns up her nose at ice cubes and dog cookies but this morning she did eat part of one.

At meal times she looks in her dish but will not eat. I have tried KD kibble alone and with chicken broth. green beans she turns her nose up at. Brown rice and chicken broth no go.

She did poop in the house this morning the first time we have seen any since the diarrhea stopped. Though in the house we are elated she is at least pooping again. She does urinate outside.

Her tail still wags, her nose is still a lever under the hand for attention. She sleeps a lot but that is what she does anyway. The non eating is the worry. She is usually eats with gusto. Any suggestions or other questions to ask the vet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Prayers for Tina. I would worry about the not eating, but the tail wag and desire for attention is encouraging.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have no advice. Good thoughts for you and Tina.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Prayers and good thoughts for Tina, Andy. The not eating is not a good sign.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry, I don't have any good advice but wanted to send lots of good thoughts for Tina. I'm glad that her tail is wagging though.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

labby is offline Senior Member

Andy, I would have a blood panel done to find out her renal levels. As you know Kelly had renal failure and it was the loss of interest in food that signaled to me that we had issues. Once I had blood pulled, her levels were really bad and it told me that it was her time.

Tina (and you) will remain in my prayers.

Laura

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Andy

Seamus and Flynn

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Thank you all.
    Tina's blood was tested this week. Everything is within the "normal range". Her kidney functions were in the high end of normal but still normal.
    After I posted this afternoon I fed them. She came out was very interested in what was doing. Gave her some chicken broth and a small handful of kibble covered in crushed crackers. She ate a little and then ate her peanut butter and Tramadal cracker with gusto. She still follows me from room to room when she is awake.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear she is not eating, Andy. Sending good thoughts & prayers for Tina.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

awww andy! she's been so blessed to have you. prayers and good thoughts for you both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast